New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Hi guys,
    A friend of mine owns a 1997 Daihatsu Chariot Multicab.
    OR Information: Series PowerCab - Type of Body: D Lux Van - No of Cyl.: 3 - Fuel: gasoline

The car runs quite good a its age only the motor is smoking white when starting the engine or giving gas - after some minutes the heavy smoke reduces but still is visible.

First mechanics told him that maybe the piston ring needs repair but he was unable to do that.
    2nd mechanic now tells him that the motor needs overhaul to stop smoking and said that is will cost 30.000php

My question is now - is this a reasonable price for a motor ovarhaul on a Daihatsu multicab motor ?

As my friend is american I wonder if maybe the mechanic tries to get some extra money from hin - so Im just asking for ususal proces.

Pls answer in english as Im american too - salamat :-)

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GoetzPhilippine View Post
    Hi guys,
    A friend of mine owns a 1997 Daihatsu Chariot Multicab.
    OR Information: Series PowerCab - Type of Body: D Lux Van - No of Cyl.: 3 - Fuel: gasoline

The car runs quite good a its age only the motor is smoking white when starting the engine or giving gas - after some minutes the heavy smoke reduces but still is visible.

First mechanics told him that maybe the piston ring needs repair but he was unable to do that.
    2nd mechanic now tells him that the motor needs overhaul to stop smoking and said that is will cost 30.000php

My question is now - is this a reasonable price for a motor ovarhaul on a Daihatsu multicab motor ?

As my friend is american I wonder if maybe the mechanic tries to get some extra money from hin - so Im just asking for ususal proces.

Pls answer in english as Im american too - salamat :-)
    Sounds a bit steep for a 3-cylinder... but depends on how much machine shop work is involved.

You can probably get a replacement surplus daihatsu motor of more recent vintage for just 15k. (probably)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    palit makina nalang po.surplus kaysa mag overhaul.pero may uncle din ako .mas gusto niya ipa overhaul ung makina niya kaysa magpalit ng surplus.

bakit? kasi sigurado daw siya na bago talaga ung parts na bibilin niya at ikakabit sa makina.ung surplus daw kasi hindi niya alam kung malapit nadin masira ung mga internal parts nun.

pero depende nalang siguro sa klase ng makina at sa presyo.kung mura lang makina 15-20k ang price siguro go na ako sa surplus.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Depends in where you will have it repaired.

Current trend, depending on what work will be done including the price of parts and machine shop service will range from 15,000 to 30,000

Sent from my Asus ZenFone 2 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    I would recommend that you check with shops in Banawe if there's a better engine alternative...

Although changing the engine will mean paperwork (LTO)

Maybe you can ask another mechanic for a 2nd opinion?

Price for overhaul for a 1997 Daihatsu Chariot Multicab