New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    [QUOTE=diesoline]RACOR, i thought staff nyo sa betan hehehe! but anyways, can betan do that for clients? and can they source a racor filter for them too?

saw something like that several years ago, but my friend was touting it as a replacement for the existing fuel filter on my patrol. para siyang may sedimentor na glass sa ilalim.

that's exactly the one I am talking about....see when you inspect the bottom part and see sediments, just flush it and it's gone....maganda kasi kita yung bottom :butt:

any shop can do this as long as they follow install instructions properly....

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    duplicate post deleted
    Last edited by diesoline; June 29th, 2005 at 11:29 PM. Reason: delete double post

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    up ko tong thread na to. i just posted an answer to the new crdi thread this afternoon and i thought i might just as well post it here. here goes....

yes, common rail technology is that good! it has good fuel economy if you can resist the urge to mash the accelerator pedal -- which releases the oodles of torque you have in reserve. my old school nissan engines were never this fun, but i still do miss the clatter of the old sd33t engine.

OT: it never fails to amuse me how crdi threads almost always morph into discussions about the perceived poor quality of diesel fuel in the country. o sige, maki-ot na rin ako...

i read up on crdi systems more than a year ago before i bought my crdi vehicle (2004 kia carnival). i was of the belief then that if i change my fuel filter earlier than what the manufacturer suggests or if i don't exceed the severe duty filter cycle recommendation, then my vehicle's injectors are safe. but i was sufficiently disturbed by the repeated allegations of dirty diesel in the diesel forums so i did research on fuel contamination. the following link from aidworkers.net conveniently sums up what i learned: http://www.aidworkers.net/logistics/page.php?id=8

Diesel Fuel Contamination and Fuel Filter Plugging

Fuel contamination is a fact of life. Preventing problems and equipment damage associated with contaminated fuel is primarily the responsibility of the end user. These responsibilities include the proper and timely replacement and servicing of the filters; selection of the fuel source, grade, and blend; and use of heaters, separators, and additives as required.

Fuel filters capture unwanted contaminants from the fuel. Left unchecked, these contaminants may cause serious and expensive damage to many system components including pumps, lines, and injectors. Fuel contaminants have many sources. Most sources are external to the fuel system itself, that is, most contaminants come with the fuel that is delivered to the fuel tank. As it comes from the refinery, diesel fuel is clean. Contaminants in diesel fuel are generally introduced in fuel storage systems through mixing, transferring, and storage.

Fuel filters naturally build resistance to the flow of fuel as they go about their job of removing unwanted contaminants from the fuel system. Fuel systems, unlike lube systems, do not have the opportunity for bypass flow and consequently, as flow through the fuel filter decreases, decreased performance of the fuel system and the engine will result. Fuel filters will become restricted or plugged over their life -- this is an expected result. A thorough investigation of the filter and the fuel source should be conducted anytime a fuel filter is suspected of delivering less than its expected life.

Some common contaminants found in today's fuels might include:

Water -- is the greatest concern because it is the most common form of contaminant. Water may be introduced into the fuel supply during fueling when warm, moisture laden air condenses on the cold metal walls of fuel storage tanks or from poor housekeeping practices. The effects of water in diesel fuel can be serious. Water can cause a tip to blow off an injector, or reduce the lubricity of the fuel which can cause seizure of close tolerance assemblies such as plungers.

Once in the system, water can be removed by using in-line water separating filters or devices. Long term prevention of problems associated with water in fuel is best accomplished by obtaining fuel from reputable suppliers capable of providing high quality fuel. Further, fuel tanks should be kept well filled to prevent condensation, and fuel should be drawn from the top of a storage tank if possible, as water is heavier than diesel fuel and tends to settle to the bottom of storage tanks. Tanks can also be kept free of water with continuous off-line or "kidney-loop" filtration/separation. Fungus and Bacteria -- These microorganisms live in water and feed on the hydrocarbons found in fuel. Called Humbugs for short, these active and multiplying colonies will spread throughout a fuel system and quickly plug a fuel filter. The fuel filter will have a slime coating over the surface of the media, dramatically reducing the service life of the filter. Bacteria may be any color, but is usually black, green or brown. Draining the system will reduce microbial activity, but will not eliminate it. The only way to eliminate microbial growth once it has started is to clean and treat the system with a biocide.

Wax -- while desirable as a source of energy in fuel, control in cold weather operation is needed. Wax crystals form as a result of cold temperature precipitation of paraffin. Temperatures below a fuel's cloud point will result in wax precipitation and filter plugging. To prevent plugged filters due to wax formation, the cloud point of fuel must be at least -12 degrees Celsius (10o F) below the lowest outside temperature. Fuel suppliers blend diesel fuel based on local anticipated cold weather conditions. Particular attention should be given to diesel fuel purchased outside your local area. For example, fuel purchased in the West or South may not be suitable for operating conditions in the Midwest or North.

Asphaltines -- are components of asphalt that are generally insoluble and are generally present to some extent in all diesel fuel. These black, tarry asphaltines are hard and brittle, and are made up of long molecules. Fuel with a high percentage of asphaltines will drastically shorten the life of a fuel filter.

Sediment and other solids -- often get into fuel tanks and cause problems. Most sediment can be removed by settling or filtration. Fuel filters designed for specific applications will remove these harmful contaminants before they cause further system wear and damage.

In no case should a more "open" filter be substituted to fix a perceived problem with premature plugging. Plugged filters will develop as the filter works to remove unwanted contaminants from the fuel system. Filter manufacturers design fuel filters to provide the level of filtration protection specified or required by the OEM manufacturer. Substitution of a more "open" filter may prolong a filter's life before plugging occurs, but it will also allow unwanted contaminants to pass downstream which will eventually impact the life of other, more expensive fuel system components.

Clean fuel is essential for efficient, full-power engine performance. Remember, newly refined fuel is clean. Between the time the fuel leaves the refinery and enters the engine's fuel tanks, it should be handled carefully to avoid possible contamination that can prematurely plug fuel filters and cause even further, more serious damage within the engine's fuel system.
    those who believe that philippine diesel fuel is dirty were right all along but many of them may not be aware how that came to be. it is water contamination that spooked me because the above-mentioned condensation that occurs in the car's fuel tank is replicated on a much larger scale in the storage tanks of gasoline stations. i have recently bought a mr. funnel water separator that i used in my last three refuels of around 35 liters each in different service stations when i went to metromanila and back. i was taken aback by the fact that i got about 300 ml of water in just one refuel alone! the two other refuels were lesser, around 200 ml each.

i then realized that i must have a lot of water sloshing around in my fuel tank. to add to my paranoia, the water sensor in my instrument cluster panel has not lighted up even once. does this mean then that oem filters are not really up to this task? that they might let water through their membranes? this really underscores the need for a filter that incorporates a water separator. and this concern is also valid for the non-crdi injection engines as the same issue also affects them.

doc diesel: super bilib talaga ako sa mr. funnel na yan. amazed yung gasoline boy nung nakita niya yung water sa funnel. after that, he put the water into a used plastic cup and showed it to the cashier. in the meantime, i went to the tap to wash the funnel. pagbalik ko, in denial na yung gasoline boy. pinaamoy sa akin yung cup at sinabi "sir, diesel naman po ito eh!" -- amoy pineapple juice naman ung cup! hehehe!!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Sir diesoline, saan po kayo nakabili ng Mr. Funnel?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i got it from a friend in cebu. he is the distributor for mr. funnel. his subdealers sell the large black funnels for P3000.00. may kamahalan but it can show you the fuel stations you should be wary of.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    diesoline, could u shed some light also on another thread "Toyota D4D engine woes"? We'd appreciate some enlightenment...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    docdiesel, nice research po. Do you think it is recommended to drain the tank regularly? say after a few full tanks.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if that is the case...

mas ok sigurong bumili ng Petron Diesel... since siya lang ang locally refined magigiging less yung exposure ng fuel sa contaminants during shipping and handling (since mas maiksi ang byahe).

unlike sa Shell, Caltex, etc. na galing pang Singapore yung diesel...

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    buti nalang lahat ng diesel consumption namin puro galing petron..

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    patron: i posted a query to larshell on that thread. anyway, the casa informed him that he might have got a faulty fuel pump. if the pump's really faulty, most probably it is due to dissolved water in the fuel.

Some common contaminants found in today's fuels might include:

Water -- is the greatest concern because it is the most common form of contaminant. Water may be introduced into the fuel supply during fueling when warm, moisture laden air condenses on the cold metal walls of fuel storage tanks or from poor housekeeping practices. The effects of water in diesel fuel can be serious. Water can cause a tip to blow off an injector, or reduce the lubricity of the fuel which can cause seizure of close tolerance assemblies such as plungers.
    imo, most of the problems faced by diesel users here have mostly to do with water contamination. i don't think that sulfur content is the main culprit of the perceived dirty diesel. it think the problem lies in the combination of water and fuel that is combusted together.

imagine 50 cc of water that infiltrated the fuel tank. the 50cc of water may have come from many avenues. the condensation inside the fuel tank that naturally happens everytime we park our cars for the night; the humid atmospheric air that enters the fuel tank everytime we open the fuel cap; water pumped along with the fuel from the service station. imagine that 50cc of water sloshing about in 40 liters of diesel inside the fuel tank when the vehicle is in motion. that translates into a lot of dissolved water in the diesel.

just think of it this way: kunwari you have a wok of very hot oil. if you sprinkle a little water on it di ba umuusok at tumitilamsik? that happens because the small drop of water vaporizes instantly because of the heat. the small drop water expands suddenly and converts into a huge amount of steam. imagine that reaction concentrated in the nozzle tips of the injection system and repeated many times over. eventually, the tolerances go way off, fuel is not combusted properly, smoke belching occurs and problems become imminent.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Phil. Diesel -> not CRDi ready?