New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If I'm not mistaken... and I probably am... baka banatan na ako ni AG4 dito... ...the Saturn was the 1.8 from the older Galant. Good engine, actually, for its time... just not as powerful as many modern ones. I think it's a predecessor of the 4G63... but don't quote me on that.

My aunt had a turbocharged Lancer (pre-box type) and used to drag race in the old days... when her engine blew, they swapped a Saturn into it.

Was it fast? Dunno... by the time we got a hold of the car (we used it for a time to go to school), it was in pretty pathetic condition.

Quote Originally Posted by JCBalunsat View Post
    Holy Sh*t, how do you know all this stuff?
    Research... I used to wreck... errh... modify cars... so I had to "know the enemy", so to speak... Of course, it helps that I have tuner-friends, both online and off-line, and lots of magazines... I've also spent a fair bit of time in garages and at junkshops... and I've seen some truly crazy stuff. If I'd had the money at the time, I might now have a backyard full of surplus engines and unfinished racing projects.

Still, these guys give me too much credit... carlo actually knows more about some of the more obscure Japanese and Chinese (his new pet obsession) cars, while AG4 has an almost encyclopedic knowledge (and a really huge brochure collection, from what I gather) of locally released vehicles... and he's always prowling the net for information on current and soon to be released ones.

Me? A lot of what I post is just a "Google" away.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Overrated? Most engines with hp but no torque.

Underrated? The 1G Ford Probe GT 2.2L turbo 4. Modest 145hp with whopping 190 lb-ft torque. Not bad for a late 80's early 90's car. That car gave me fits everytime I encountered one at a stoplight back then.
    Thought you had an Eclipse/Talon, too? (of course, that's not on anyone's list of under-rated...)

Was that the legendary FE DOHC? Rumor has it that the block is almost as strong as the 4G63...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

diba cast-iron block ng 4g63 unlike ng mga b16's at 4ag's na yun..

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mazingerZ View Post
    Overrated in my opinion is the Saturn Engine of Mitsu lancers circa 1980s. Kulang na lang sabihin ng mga mekaniko na lilipad yung kotse dahil sa sobrang bilis daw nito.
    The 4G32 Saturn made 94hp * 6300rpm, and this was back in 1979. That output is close to that of a relatively modern 1.6li, as is the redline. Matter of fact, since the early Lancers that came with that engine weighed only about 800kg, the power-to-weight ratio is even better than some of today's cars.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    If I'm not mistaken... and I probably am... baka banatan na ako ni AG4 dito... ...the Saturn was the 1.8 from the older Galant. Good engine, actually, for its time... just not as powerful as many modern ones. I think it's a predecessor of the 4G63... but don't quote me on that.
    Anyone mentioned Mitsubishi engines?

Saturn refers to the 4G3x family of Mitsubishi engines. THE "saturn" engine was the 4G32. 1.6li, 94hp.

Alongside the saturn, there's the Astron, Orion, Sirius and Cyclone line of engines. Most of these are still in production today, albeit with many revisions to the original designs. It is expected though, that these old engine bloodlines will soon be retired, to be replaced by the 6Bxx and 4Bxx line of all-aluminum engines.

Astron = 4G5x, 4D5x (still in production -- 4D56 CRDI in the 2007 Strada)
    Orion = 4G1x, (still in production, see Lancer CVT)
    Sirius = 4G6x, perhaps the most famous of the line.
    Cyclone = 4G7x

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy View Post
    Yup, it's an ANCIENT design, but that's actually an advantage when it comes to turbo applications. Cast iron can take a lot more heat and pressure than aluminum, so you still see the 4G63 engined cars at the top of many time attack events.

In terms of boost levels, Subaru's EJ20/EJ25 series is more or less already maxxed out at 22-23psi, whereas with the old iron-blocked 4G63s it isn't entirely outlandish to hear of as high as 28psi of boost.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Thought you had an Eclipse/Talon, too? (of course, that's not on anyone's list of under-rated...)

Was that the legendary FE DOHC? Rumor has it that the block is almost as strong as the 4G63...
    I had a 1G DSM turbo. It did in fact have a 4G63 turbo. Here's an old Polaroid before being modded.

Add: My nephew inherited 2 of these babies (I kept them as spares) along with the car. One of them has barely 600 miles.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; January 31st, 2008 at 05:26 PM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy View Post
    The 4G63 and the 4AGE, both have Cast Iron Blocks. and the B16 (or any D,B,H,K, etc.. series engines) has a cast Aluminum Block.

anywayz, back to the topic. I guess the most "Over-Rated" engine of all time (specially around the world) would definitely be the B16 engine (or maybe all of the B-series engines). the 4G63-t, however might come close at second place. but then of course, it has its own level since that the 4G63 is Turbocharged (so it cant really be in the same level as the B16 *or any B-series engines, coz they are Naturaly Aspirated*.) and finally, I would say the 4AGE *16 valve & 20 valve* would come at third. but then I wouldnt say the 4AGE is "over-rated" since that there are not that many people or tuners who builds 4AGE's / 4AGZE's, as compared to a whole bunch of Honda Tuners / Enthusiasts, who builds a B-series engine left and right, even in their own bedroom.

but then of course, as a Toyota fan, I'd still pick the 4A-GE *16 or 20 Valve*

aite, peace.

nga pala, MIVEC-turbo ng evo 9 diba 4Bxx na code pala nun, not 4G63..

SR20 at RB-series ng nissan...underrated pala mga to....

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KBR View Post
    The 4G63 and the 4AGE, both have Cast Iron Blocks. and the B16 (or any D,B,H,K, etc.. series engines) has a cast Aluminum Block.

anywayz, back to the topic. I guess the most "Over-Rated" engine of all time (specially around the world) would definitely be the B16 engine (or maybe all of the B-series engines). the 4G63-t, however might come close at second place. but then of course, it has its own level since that the 4G63 is Turbocharged (so it cant really be in the same level as the B16 *or any B-series engines, coz they are Naturaly Aspirated*.) and finally, I would say the 4AGE *16 valve & 20 valve* would come at third. but then I wouldnt say the 4AGE is "over-rated" since that there are not that many people or tuners who builds 4AGE's / 4AGZE's, as compared to a whole bunch of Honda Tuners / Enthusiasts, who builds a B-series engine left and right, even in their own bedroom.

but then of course, as a Toyota fan, I'd still pick the 4A-GE *16 or 20 Valve*

aite, peace.
    Hmmm. Why would the 4G63 turbo be overrated? It lent itself quite well to tuning. It certainly was no slouch either in factory-stock form.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Overrated engines... Eto nanaman po tayo.