New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xfreemanx View Post
    Thanks for all your inputs! I think the shop owner is trustworthy. He guarantees the work for 6 months, and labor is 4K.

For the machining, how do I know if my engine needs them? Para saan ba to?
    Resleeve - 1800
    Rebore - 2800
    Polish - 800
    Fitting - 900
    Regrind - 1800
    Oil Seal Build up x 2 - 1200
    Valve Seat and retappet - 4500
    Washing - 400
    These are needed for a complete overhaul. My dad told me that it's more advisable to do a complete overhaul (than a top overhaul) as the engine will receive more fresh parts thus, will generally last longer. On the contrary, a top overhaul will cost less but may give more headaches in the future.

As far as I know:

Resleeve-replaces the cylinder wall with a new one.
    Rebore-resizes the cylinder wall to make a perfect fit for the new pistons.
    Polish-polishes the cylinder head to improve or restore intake/exhaust performance

2. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    ang mura ata sir

3. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    These are needed for a complete overhaul. My dad told me that it's more advisable to do a complete overhaul (than a top overhaul) as the engine will receive more fresh parts thus, will generally last longer. On the contrary, a top overhaul will cost less but may give more headaches in the future.

As far as I know:

Resleeve-replaces the cylinder wall with a new one.
    Rebore-resizes the cylinder wall to make a perfect fit for the new pistons.
    Polish-polishes the cylinder head to improve or restore intake/exhaust performance

Thanks for your very informative posts bros. It really helps. Will be bringing the car tomorrow. Had canvassed for surplus engines at banawe, price is 20-25 din, japan local version daw. But I figured, the expenses will be more expensive if I swap the engine. Rewiring and installation plus having the engine reconditioned too will mean more pesoses out of my pocket.

So pag rebore, no need to resleeve? Does it need to be polished pa?

How about valve seat and retappet? When do I need this? And what are the specs for the clearances?

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xfreemanx View Post
    So pag rebore, no need to resleeve? Does it need to be polished pa?

How about valve seat and retappet? When do I need this? And what are the specs for the clearances?
    Hmmm, I have no idea if all cars need a resleeve when overhauled. I just know that my dad used to do it in VW Old Beetles back when he was in college. But in modern cars, nada. But I do know that a rebore is needed in an overhaul. Polishing on the other hand, is done on the cylinder head. It ensures good flow of the fuel/air mix on the intake and gases on the exhaust. As for valve seat and retappet, I only know that it concerns the valvetrain. AFAIK, this is to recondition the valvetrain to compensate for wear and tear. Lolo told me that inspection of valve clearance is routine maintenance procedure.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Nakuha ko na yung oto. Engine is less noisy and no more smoke coming out of the dipstick. I paid a total of 29K, 11K for machine shop, 14K for parts and 4K for Labor. I am hopeful they did a good job. Malaking gastos e.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    the price of the parts looks fair enough ...

the machine shop is a bit taga if you ask me ...

the labor i think is about 3000 - 3500 lang

if you like to canvass give me a call i will try to give you a great deal sa price

BANAWE AUTO SUPPLY
    regy

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    4000 to pull down the engine and overhaul it is expensive?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Overhauling  Estimates - price check!