New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Dear fellow tsikoteers, 'am just wondering what's the purpose of the coolant reservoir attached to the radiator? is it a holding container in case coolant overflows from the radiator? or it in case of overheating, the radiator sucks in the reserve coolant from the reservoir? can anyone enlighten me on this? add ko na rin, is it ok to top up pure coolant in case the level in the reservoir goes down? or it should be diluted with distilled water? Pardon for my ignorance, i've been longing to ask this. TIA

2. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Reservoir..meaning reserve.. so its use is to reserve so that the radiator wont have a problem.
    and on the coolant..ala akong alam :P try to read the instruction in your coolant bottle

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    kadalasan pag umiinit nag e-expand. imbes na matapon ang coolant pag nag expand dahil sa init (normal) ay maiipon sa reserba. kaya ang max limit ng reserba ay hindi sagad.

pag lamig naman, mag contract, kaya hihigupin ang coolant pabalik sa radiator.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    salamat sa replies, natanong ko kasi ng sobrang trapik dahil sa rally ng IN
    C mejo mataas reading ng temperature more than half sa gauge. then pagkaumaga mejo bawas yung reservoir kaya nagdagdag ako purong coolant hanggang sa kalahati (full level). eh naisip ko baka di dapat puro nilagay ko kundi hinaluan ko distilled water. so far balik na naman reading temperature gauge sa 1/4. napansin ko lang mas mainit hood ko kesa nung nakaraan although same distance and traffic condition. baka napraning lang ako. salamat po uli.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    a 100% working cooling system with no leaks and no problems will never need a top up of coolant or water on the reservoir... its a closed loop system, the same amount that's sent to the reservoir will also be the same amount to be sucked in back to the radiator.

if you topped it up, then the coolant or water which was lost during that traffic must have escaped through something...
    try to observe if it will happen again.. but just to be sure check the coolant lines and hoses, and check the engine for any signs of coolant marks..

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by miko101130 View Post
    a 100% working cooling system with no leaks and no problems will never need a top up of coolant or water on the reservoir... its a closed loop system, the same amount that's sent to the reservoir will also be the same amount to be sucked in back to the radiator.

if you topped it up, then the coolant or water which was lost during that traffic must have escaped through something...
    try to observe if it will happen again.. but just to be sure check the coolant lines and hoses, and check the engine for any signs of coolant marks..
    It is not a sealed system, some water do evaporate. pero konti lang. After more than 1 1/2 years, I have to add coolant sa reserba. umabot na sa minimum. Pero puno pa rin sa radiator.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    thanks for the inputs, so it is reassuring that topping up with pure coolant is okay. I see that there is no problem with my radiator as the water level is up to the brim, and the color of the coolant in the reservoir never changes. I'd be alarmed if the color turns to rainbow shade, a sign that oil is seeping in the cooling system.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    pwede din top up lang ng distilled water absolut o wilkins . since nageevaporate naman yun water di yun coolant

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson View Post
    It is not a sealed system, some water do evaporate. pero konti lang. After more than 1 1/2 years, I have to add coolant sa reserba. umabot na sa minimum. Pero puno pa rin sa radiator.
    Yup, not 100% sealed. meron talaga mist lalo na sa may cap ng reservoir paminsan-minsan. But matagal nga abgo ka kelangan magdagdag.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

10. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    i did not say 100% sealed... its 100% closed loop system... ibig sabihin self regulating unless buksan o tumagas..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
out of curiosity --question on coolant reservoir