New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    I just wanna know if an oily spark plug means that i should have it overhauled? i just had it overhauled 4th quarter last year... or should it be considered "back job"? My car is Toyota Corolla 95 Big Body... 3 of the 4 spark plugs are covered with oil... only one is colored rusty brown... the mechanic told me that it was only dirty and no problem at all... i am kinda hesitant about that... oily sparkplug means a problem in piston ring or other parts...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by batusai_jr View Post
    I just wanna know if an oily spark plug means that i should have it overhauled? i just had it overhauled 4th quarter last year... or should it be considered "back job"? My car is Toyota Corolla 95 Big Body... 3 of the 4 spark plugs are covered with oil... only one is colored rusty brown... the mechanic told me that it was only dirty and no problem at all... i am kinda hesitant about that... oily sparkplug means a problem in piston ring or other parts...
    Spark plug seals are worn out?!?!?!

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    nasan ba yung oil?? sa tip or sa thread?? kasi kung sa tip eh kumakain na ng langis yang engine mo.. which in time will need an overhaul.. top overhaul siguro ok na..

4. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    pards,

check mo muna, baka spark plug oil seal lang yan. Patayin mo muna makina, then tangalin mo yung hi-tension wire, kapain mo ngayon yung mga butas na pinagsasaksakan ng wire, dapat tuyo yan, wala kang langis na makakapa. Kung malangis, sigurado na spark plug oil seal yan, 250 yan 4 na piraso na.

Kaya mo ng gawin yan, tangalin mo lang yung cover, then sa likod ng cover, angat mo lang yung lock, matatangal na yan.

Bago mo ibalik linisin mo muna mga butas, make sure na walng maiiwan na basahan. hehehe palit spark plug ka na rin para sigurado ka at ma test mo maige.

sana eto lang sira.

good luck

5. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    what was done and replaced during the last overhaul? have you verified that the actual overhaul was done right?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    is changing the sparkplug seals included when overhauling the engine? and also the timing belt?

imho, if its me i will have to clarify this with the mechanic whose doing the overhauling, including other major parts such as timing belt and water pump et al... to avoid things like this from happening....

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    is changing the sparkplug seals included when overhauling the engine? and also the timing belt?

imho, if its me i will have to clarify this with the mechanic whose doing the overhauling, including other major parts such as timing belt and water pump et al... to avoid things like this from happening....

8. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    i really have no idea, i'll try to check it again. the dark substance which i think is oil, covers the whole thread of the spark plugs

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by batusai_jr View Post
    i really have no idea, i'll try to check it again. the dark substance which i think is oil, covers the whole thread of the spark plugs

if the suspected substance is on the threaded area, chances are, it is anti-seize compound. if the spark plugs were not tightened to their proper torque, it might be oil originating from leaks of the spark plug tube seals. if the tube seals are leaking, the first evidence would be swollen spark plug wire boots. if it comes from the combustion chambers, it will be consuming oil more than normal

10. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    how do i know if they are in their proper torque? do i need the gadget for that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Oily Spark plugs?