New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    [SIZE=3]dear tsikoteers,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]i would like to seek your help/advise on this problem. i will greatly appreciate your comments. many thanks![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]ride: mitsubishi lancer 1997 GL (1.5 carb)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]problem: oil measure as checked in oil dipstick went down to the minimum level (when it was almost near the maximum level previously, ¾ between the min and max level). the last time I checked was a few days before we went on vacation this holy week. I was able to use that car then (for 4-5 days) but was not able to check it by the time we went on vacation. I left the car in the house the entire holy week. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]- had oil change 2,500kms ago. oil was good for 5,000kms[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]- car experienced overheat due to a leak in the radiator hose a few weeks after this oil change (occurred at around 1,000kms after the oil change). Had the radiator hose and thermostat replaced. Since no problem was found in the engine during that time (no leak, no decreasing oil level, no engine knock sound), the mechanic advised to regularly monitor the car as the effect of this overheat might appear over time. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]visual checks done:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]- no oil leak/drop is found in the parking area (which I checked everyday)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]- smoke in the exhaust is not white (normal color only, slight gray)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]- slight oil film around the valve cover and beneath the spark plug area (it used to be like this ever since I got the car last 2007). No visuals though under the hood as I haven’t brought it to the auto shop yet. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]- timing belt/tensioner bearing/oil seal (crankshaft/camshaft) was replaced previously (last year). [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]- color of water in the radiator is normal (light green because of the coolant)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]- no noticeable change in engine power (as I use the car 4x a week, gen trias, cavite to makati (and vice-versa)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]- no noticeable change in engine sound [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ekimski View Post

[SIZE=3]i would like to seek your help/advise on this problem. i will greatly appreciate your comments. many thanks![/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]problem: oil measure as checked in oil dipstick went down to the minimum level (when it was almost near the maximum level previously, ¾ between the min and max level). the last time I checked was a few days before we went on vacation this holy week. I was able to use that car then (for 4-5 days) but was not able to check it by the time we went on vacation. I left the car in the house the entire holy week. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]- car experienced overheat due to a leak in the radiator hose a few weeks after this oil change (occurred at around 1,000kms after the oil change). Had the radiator hose and thermostat replaced. Since no problem was found in the engine during that time (no leak, no decreasing oil level, no engine knock sound), the mechanic advised to regularly monitor the car as the effect of this overheat might appear over time. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]- no oil leak/drop is found in the parking area (which I checked everyday)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]- smoke in the exhaust is not white (normal color only, slight gray)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]- slight oil film around the valve cover and beneath the spark plug area (it used to be like this ever since I got the car last 2007). No visuals though under the hood as I haven’t brought it to the auto shop yet. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]- timing belt/tensioner bearing/oil seal (crankshaft/camshaft) was replaced previously (last year). [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]- color of water in the radiator is normal (light green because of the coolant)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]- no noticeable change in engine power (as I use the car 4x a week, gen trias, cavite to makati (and vice-versa)[/SIZE]

have you checked if your plugs have oil traces? the reason why i am asking is because you mentioned above na medyo gray ang exhaust mo.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ekimski View Post

have you checked if your plugs have oil traces? the reason why i am asking is because you mentioned above na medyo gray ang exhaust mo.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Oil burning, perhaps.

5. Join Date
    May 2004
    baka nga your burning oil... check na rin sa tail pipe kung may trace ng oil... dapat walang color ang smoke sa tail pipe...

oil level went down as checked in the dipstick