New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by docgorio View Post
    An engine of an AE-92 should be free revving up to the redline without any signs of losing power...

The 2 primary suspects are: fuel delivery or electricals. I suggest you check the systems one at a time...

Considering the age of this venerable engine, the high tension leads could show signs of wear and this could lead to the "kinakapos ng hangin" phenomenon. The HT leads can have cracks and could lead to less delivery of current to the sparkplug. To test if your HT leads are not shorting, open your bonnet and run the engine. Make sure you do this at night with a minimum of light around. If you see blue sparks coming out of the HT leads then there's one problem.

As for fuel delivery, look into the fuel filter system. There are usually 2 fuel filters so make sure you look into both. If the filters are good then, as the previous posters have mentioned, a carb cleaning/overhaul is in order.

The 4A-F engine was one of the first engines in the Philippines to have electronic ignitionI seriously doubt if there's something wrong with the timing. Unless the mechanics misaligned the camshaft gears ever so slightly, that will be the only time it will have timing issues.

Hope this helps.......

Sir just to clarify (baguhan palang kasi ako sa automobile terminology) ung High Tension Wires ung mga naka-konekta sa Spark Plug db? and sila ba mismo ung nagkakaroon ng cracks? db po plastic/goma ung labas nila?

and by "Bonnet" you mean, ung takip sa Distributor? (na konektado sa apat na HT wires?)

Lastly, dapat ba my silicon gasket din ung mga bunganga ng HT wires that are connected sa Spark Plugs?

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    *eatmylens:

Yes the HT leads are the 4 thick black wires that run from the front top part of your engine to where your spark plugs are supposed to be. Over time the rubber insulators of the HT leads degrade and crack.

My apologies. By "bonnet" I actually mean the car's hood. It's a British term.

You should not have silicone sealant anywhere along the course of the HT lead so I suggest you have them looked at.

Again, check the systems one by one and make sure your mechanic is good at troubleshooting and not some "Ser, palitan na lang natin 'to at 'to at 'to na rin..." type of lazy mechanic...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Have you tried replacing your RPM gauge. Baka yan yung culprit.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    first, check the valve synchronization by using a vacuum gauge connected into a non ported vacuum source like the PCV hose. regardless how good the ignition system is or how good fuel delivery and atomization is, if the valves are late it will limit power, speed and suffer in fuel efficiency. the engine vacuum at idle for normally aspirated engines without racing cams should be between 17-21 inHg. most vacuum gauges would tell you the valves are late if the engine vacuum is lower than 16 inHg. or, you can remove the upper timing belt cover and check the timing marks on the cam pulley and the timing belt backing plate while the crank pulley is at TDC position. if after verification of valve timing is satisfactory, check the ignition system, fuel pressure, fuel volume over a period of time and check the exhaust system for possible restriction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
not satisfied with Speed