New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Mga sir,

Ano po kaya ang pwedeng gawin sa problema ng auto ko?

Walang IDLE or menor. But kapag tumatakbo, ok naman ang performance, not until apakan ang clutch and bitiwan ang gas pedal, bagsak ang rpm diretso hanggang mamatay engine.

Initially, up and down ang idling then after a few days, nawalan na totally ng menor. Had to keep stepping on the gas pedal.

Already replaced sparkplugs

Car is an 89 Nissan Maxima, CA20s engine *carb*

TIA

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Check the idle adjust screw.

Sometimes carbs (particularly on the fuel mixture) get out of tune especially on frequent changes in atmospheric pressure and temperature, as per experience.

Lest your air filter is damn too clogged and carb is damn too dirty/sludgy that they call for a clean or a fix.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    What gasoline you using?

And when was your last air filter change/cleaning?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Meron ka bang ginalaw sa makina recently? Like gusto mong bumaba ang idling?
    Ibig bang sabihin ay kailangan mo parati ilagay ang paa mo sa accelerator para hindi mamatay ang makina?
    palagay ko hindi sa clutch ang problema ... palagay ko sa pag alis ng paa mo sa gas kaya namamatay.
    1. masyadong mababa ang idling mo. ang kotse ay normally nasa 500 to 600 rpm at idle. check mo yung cable papuntang idle at baka may gumalaw or may natanggal na pinagsasabitan ng cable, you have to put it back.
    2.kung 89 model yan, may carburador ba yan? check mo din at baka ang combination ng hangin at gas ay hindi tama. Nagpalit ka na ba ng air filter?

I hope this will help/
    have fun driving

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by isa1023 View Post
    Check the idle adjust screw.

Sometimes carbs (particularly on the fuel mixture) get out of tune especially on frequent changes in atmospheric pressure and temperature, as per experience.

Lest your air filter is damn too clogged and carb is damn too dirty/sludgy that they call for a clean or a fix.
    Already tried adjusting the idle screw, same pa rin

Will try to get a carb cleaner within the week, medyo restricted sa oras due to work

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    What gasoline you using?

And when was your last air filter change/cleaning?
    I use either XCS or GOLD (caltex), and minsan yung sea oil yata yun na 97%

a month ago yata yung last air filter cleaning ko

Quote Originally Posted by aotrizsb View Post
    Meron ka bang ginalaw sa makina recently? Like gusto mong bumaba ang idling?
    Ibig bang sabihin ay kailangan mo parati ilagay ang paa mo sa accelerator para hindi mamatay ang makina?
    palagay ko hindi sa clutch ang problema ... palagay ko sa pag alis ng paa mo sa gas kaya namamatay.
    1. masyadong mababa ang idling mo. ang kotse ay normally nasa 500 to 600 rpm at idle. check mo yung cable papuntang idle at baka may gumalaw or may natanggal na pinagsasabitan ng cable, you have to put it back.
    2.kung 89 model yan, may carburador ba yan? check mo din at baka ang combination ng hangin at gas ay hindi tama. Nagpalit ka na ba ng air filter?

I hope this will help/
    have fun driving

originally, idling ko was set to 700-800. Wala naman nagalaw sa makina, except for the sparkplug replacement last september

Yup, carbed type engine. We tried changing the setting nung fuel/air mixture, and correct me if I'm wrong, this is done through the screw thingy na may spring sa lower side ng carb? no change after tweaking the said screw

*ALL
    Kahit wala yung air filter same pa rin ang nangyayari

additional question, I attached a pic of my extra carb and manifold, does the highlighted part needs to have some sort of hose attached to it? if yes, san ito nakakabit?
    kasi napansin ko din na kapag wala takip yung butas, sagad sa taas yung pin that adjusts idling, pero kapag nakatakip, may pressure yung pin

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Have you checked the PCV valve hose connecting to the carb intake?

Sorry I can't see you pic (on restricted office view) but hoses and tubes have to be either connected somewhere or closed sealed.

I had a similar dilemma on my carb when I disconnected that hose, which is sometimes prone to be accidentally disconnected.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by isa1023 View Post
    Have you checked the PCV valve hose connecting to the carb intake?

Sorry I can't see you pic (on restricted office view) but hoses and tubes have to be either connected somewhere or closed sealed.

I had a similar dilemma on my carb when I disconnected that hose, which is sometimes prone to be accidentally disconnected.

Will check that tomorrow after work...

Thanks

*All

Any other possibilities/inputs? Thanks again

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Petron XCS already have ethanol mixed into it. Not sure about Caltex Gold.

E10 gasoline might be causing part of your trouble. Carbs & ethanol don't mix well.

You might want to try Petron Blaze or Total Protec because that has no ethanol mixed into it.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Petron XCS already have ethanol mixed into it. Not sure about Caltex Gold.

E10 gasoline might be causing part of your trouble. Carbs & ethanol don't mix well.

You might want to try Petron Blaze or Total Protec because that has no ethanol mixed into it.
    Do I have to flush out remaining gas on the system? All hoses looks fine, as far as I can see though.

Since I have an extra carb/manifold, will it be easy to swap? Do I need to purchase anything extra (gaskets/o-rings/etc)?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolSwitch View Post
    Do I have to flush out remaining gas on the system? All hoses looks fine, as far as I can see though.

Since I have an extra carb/manifold, will it be easy to swap? Do I need to purchase anything extra (gaskets/o-rings/etc)?
    I am concerned about the carb jets. It could have eroded enough to cause rich condition on idle enough to cause stalling.

As for the hoses, ethanol related hardening takes more time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
No Idle problem when full stop, car runs fine when foot is on gas