New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    was browsing around the internet, castrol website, and found out today the highest API rating is now SM for gas engine oils. current locally available oils i have seen are rated upto SL only.

for diesel its "CI-4 plus".

have not seen any engine oils with these ratings. the highest ratings must be the best for your engine if the owners manual will allow it.

with all the new vehicles (with newer tech stuff) being released by the car manufacturers, i hope local lubricants dealer or engine oil manufacturers will soon also release the higher class engine oils.

i think now, we are not really that far behind in the kind of vehicles being made available to the country. At par with ASEAN countries, specially Thailand, which manufactures most of the cars.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Mobil Delvac 1 and 1300 are rated CI-4 plus.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    mobil delvac 1 is too expensive for me.
    have not seen locally the mobil 1300, but i think its not a synthetic oil so it must be affordable.

thanks

4. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Conoco's Hydroclear Power D 15w40 is CI-4 plus/SL and available locally at P850/4L. It's a hydrocracked mineral oil.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt
    with all the new vehicles (with newer tech stuff) being released by the car manufacturers, i hope local lubricants dealer or engine oil manufacturers will soon also release the higher class engine oils.
    to note... most new vehicles still doesn't even require an SL rated engine oil rating - as they just require an SJ rated engine oil.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    I wonder why car manufacturers are slow (or not eager) to adapt or recommend the newer grade oils? I believe the testing and accreditation of new grade motor oils is done with their support.

I think the SJ grade has been in use for a long time. its the recomended oil in our AE101. but the shell helix ultra full-syn motor oil is only SJ, while the semi-syn helix plus (which i use since it costs less) is already SL.

isuzu recommends a CD grade only with their own isuzu motor oil as per the dmax-04 manual and engine sticker. CD is a old grade according to the engine oil bible.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    API CJ-4 is the latest for diesel

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzkhy View Post
    API CJ-4 is the latest for diesel
    Who has CJ-4 oil?

Castrol Magnatec and GTX are rated SM. Caltex Delo 400 is rated CI.

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    i would rather just get an oil bypass filter and just have normal oil and leave the cleaning to the bypass filters....

10. Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Total is also selling an SM rated mineral oil. Synthetic nila hanggang SL pa lang daw.

new oil ratings for Gasoline and diesel engines