New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie on cars... however, I want to modify my ride to make it as fast/responsive as possible... (inspired by Fast Five) hehehe...

I want to start modifying my Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 S.E.G. ride... I'm done with the body kits and paint job so my next step is my engine... do you guys have any suggestions on what should I modify here???

thanks a lot!!!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Dump the 1.8 AT and install a 3SGE.

Simple modifications won't net you much in terms of power... and improper modification of the exhaust will lose you low end torque, which would be a pain given your car is an automatic. But typically, you can see some decent gains with an intake and a piggyback air-fuel computer like an APEXi SAFC.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by neozeke View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie on cars... however, I want to modify my ride to make it as fast/responsive as possible... (inspired by Fast Five) hehehe...

I want to start modifying my Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 S.E.G. ride... I'm done with the body kits and paint job so my next step is my engine... do you guys have any suggestions on what should I modify here???

thanks a lot!!!

The only worthwhile thing to do to get more power with your car is either a nitrous kit, turbocharge your existing engine or do a engine swap with a 4AGE 20v silver-top engine.

Doing anything else to increase the performance of the existing engine would be a waste of money. That would include intake, headers, exhaust, S-AFC, etc.

4. Join Date
    May 2011
    a corolla is a small new family car, if you want a fast car, buy a ferrari. corollas were meant to be a get around car.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    thanks for the info... how much will a brand new S-AFC cost me???

7a-ge is not designed for speed but for economy....ok din naman hatak nyan...locally yan ang biggest factory engine before i-introduce an 2.0L dito sa atin.. unang altis yan..

kung gusto mo konting bump sa power without the need for swapgo intake-header-exhaust mod...then gamitan mo ng magandang langis/fluids like motul or royal purple...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    A secondhand SAFC should be around 10k or so. Haven't checked prices for a while.

Silvertops are great, but a 3SGE will give you more oomph over more of the rev range.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mina_nuka View Post
    a corolla is a small new family car, if you want a fast car, buy a ferrari. corollas were meant to be a get around car.
    anong klaseng sagot yan ?

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    A secondhand SAFC should be around 10k or so. Haven't checked prices for a while.

Silvertops are great, but a 3SGE will give you more oomph over more of the rev range.
    the 3SGE Beams is a great engine. 2.0L VVT-i that's around 200hp iirc. Built for economy as well as for power. I've heard that it can top up at 11km/L city if driven " economically ", however, one problem would be the stocks available ( i only know one corolla that's swapped with that kind of engine. ) It doesn't come by always, some might even require you to have the engine imported.

One slightly common engine is the locally released 3SGE that came stock with the corona. The stocks are so-so, not as common as silvertops and blacktops but you should find a decent one. patience.

There's also the 3SGTE that came with the Celica.

The Blacktop 6-speed M/T should do okay, it's around 163hp stock. If you drive around the city, then you wouldnt enjoy much of its power since it only comes at top-end - same goes with the Silvertop.

I would have recommended the 4AGE High-horse 16V coz the power comes out at low-mid end, really usable if you drive around the city often. FC is so-so, better than the 20 valvers which just plays around 7-8km/L. HOWEVER, the engine itself is a rare find. If you ever find one, most likely its gonna be either expensive or not in good shape.

Forget the 4EFTE it might be a burden for you. coz it costs a lot, had mine quoted at 60k everything BUT the FMIC which will cost me another 20k +/- though if you would want to experiment on things it can be done, though again it will cost you a lot especially if you would want to have you set back at high whp figures.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mina_nuka View Post
    Grabe ka naman sumagot ser

TS is only asking for advice to make his car run faster. Wala naman ganyanan.... tsk tsk tsk...

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The silvertop really is the easiest to find and install... but I know of some people who favor the supercharged 4AGZE because of the extra torque.

I like the plain-jane 3SGE because, yes, it's not a screamer, but it'll be more tractable and enjoyable in the daily grind than a high-strung 20V.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Modifications for an A/T engine