New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 566 of 655 FirstFirst ... 466516556562563564565566567568569570576616 ... LastLast
Results 5,651 to 5,660 of 6542
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    I was able to purchase a second hand 2016 Fortuner 2.4L G Diesel A/T and ang sabi ng original owner ay last oil change nya is fully synthetic sa casa and the next oil change is after 10,000km na... I want to continue using that fully synthetic oil, but not in the casa since by its next PMS out of warranty na sya. Question ko lang is ano ba yung oil viscosity ng Fully Synthetic for a diesel engine? What about young semi-synthetic ano ang viscosity? Been checking the manual but I cannot figure out which is the full synthetic from the semi, and from the mineral oil... noob here...
    hindi naman nakalagay sa owners manual ang fully synthetic or semi sa Toyota. nakalagay yun API rating. 5w30 is the recommended viscosity. thats all to it.

you cant extend the oil change interval na nakalagay sa owners manual because previous owner says so. is he using a bigger oil filter?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    i don't think i have seen a 5w-30 mineral oil yet. if o remember puro synthetic pa lang

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by babkalakal View Post
    i don't think i have seen a 5w-30 mineral oil yet. if o remember puro synthetic pa lang
    google 5w30 multi grade..

4. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Honda GMO meron.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I've seen my 2.5 D4D engine oil after 10k (with a mid-OCI filter change at 5k) and it ain't pretty. This OCI was recommended by the dealer.

I wasn't particularly comfortable with 10k so I lowered it to every 7-8k with a mid-OCI filter change at around 3.5 to 4k using Zic X7 10W40. I've also switched to Wix oil filters.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i replace my 2.5 D4d's mineral oil every 5K km. it ain't pretty, either.
    Last edited by dr. d; January 5th, 2019 at 09:36 PM.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    yeah. "used oil analysis" via eyeball method isn't very useful

rubbing it between your fingers won't help either. oh and it's carcinogenic

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    It was more of a hyperbole than anything. Then again, all else being equal, a 5k oil will always be in a better condition than a 10k oil.

I realized that the 5k OCI indicated in the manual is based on the "worst case but still suitable" motor oil for the vehicle. That means, the cheapest mineral oil you can find that happens to be in the correct viscosity is technically suitable. So then, it only stands to reason that using fully-synthetic oil will extend the OCI, if not 50%... up to 100% under ideal conditions.

I think everybody would agree that synthetic oil has better base oil to start with, mated to an additive package that helps prolong and protect the base oil, among others. The combined effect is that synthetic oil is more resistant to shearing, typically holds on to its viscosity better at high temperatures, has very good viscosity index, less susceptible to oxidation, sludging, or thermal breakdown, etc.

In summary, fully-synthetic oil will always last longer compared to mineral oil under the same conditions. However, it can only do so much to put debris in suspension. That's where the mid-OCI filter change comes in.

So that's where my seemingly arbitrary OCI came from.

Any questions?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    It was more of a hyperbole than anything. Then again, all else being equal, a 5k oil will always be in a better condition than a 10k oil.

I realized that the 5k OCI indicated in the manual is based on the "worst case but still suitable" motor oil for the vehicle. That means, the cheapest mineral oil you can find that happens to be in the correct viscosity is technically suitable. So then, it only stands to reason that using fully-synthetic oil will extend the OCI, if not 50%... up to 100% under ideal conditions.

I think everybody would agree that synthetic oil has better base oil to start with, mated to an additive package that helps prolong and protect the base oil, among others. The combined effect is that synthetic oil is more resistant to shearing, typically holds on to its viscosity better at high temperatures, has very good viscosity index, less susceptible to oxidation, sludging, or thermal breakdown, etc.

In summary, fully-synthetic oil will always last longer compared to mineral oil under the same conditions. However, it can only do so much to put debris in suspension. That's where the mid-OCI filter change comes in.

So that's where my seemingly arbitrary OCI came from.

Any questions?
    oci by manufacturers then adjusted to conditions and observations.. sounds about right

meron kase blindingly following suggestions online lol

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    many years ago, when synthetic oil was not as commonly used as today,
    "experts" recommended synthetic oil change every 10K km, but filter replacement every 5K km.
    they mentioned the same reasoning as oj's's above: while the oil may still be good, the gunk has to be removed.

Mineral , semi synthetic or fully synthetic?