New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 624 of 655 FirstFirst ... 524574614620621622623624625626627628634 ... LastLast
Results 6,231 to 6,240 of 6542
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    It really irks me that car manufacturers don't factor in oil quality in their recommended OCI. It's only common sense that a fully-synthetic oil is better than regular oil. It has better everything... enough so that it really should extend the OCI.

My own intuition tells me that the OCI they have in the manual are loosely based on the cheapest oil that the engine would take. By that logic, you should be able to extend the OCI if you use FS oil. By how much, only a proper UOA can tell the full story.
    Hondaph maintenance intervals seem ok to me. I compared it to honda malaysias intervals. And theyre similar.

What irks me is the 6L+ oil capacity engines that require oil changes every 6months. Manufacturers increased the capacity to extend interval intervals.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I have been doing 12-month or 10k km oil change intervals in my vehicles and no issue at all. I use FS oil though. It started with the Fiesta back in 2016 up to the point it was sold in 2018. I do it also with my FXT and ASX now.

The Jetta TDI follows a recommended 12-month or 15k km change oil interval and we just stuck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    It really irks me that car manufacturers don't factor in oil quality in their recommended OCI. It's only common sense that a fully-synthetic oil is better than regular oil. It has better everything... enough so that it really should extend the OCI.

My own intuition tells me that the OCI they have in the manual are loosely based on the cheapest oil that the engine would take. By that logic, you should be able to extend the OCI if you use FS oil. By how much, only a proper UOA can tell the full story.
    What irks me is the fact that they don’t even follow the oil recommended by the manufacturer. For my car, there is a disclaimer in the manual that if the proper oil is not available in the country, a 5,000 OCI should be done. I would guess that they use heavy traffic conditions as an excuse for the frequent OCI. During the lockdown, I read the manual & was agast that they haven’t been using the right oil. API CI-4 for the first 4 OCs then CF (Vortex) for the fifth when the oil should be anACEA C2 or C3. Grade will depend on the ambient temp, heavier in summer (40C) & lighter in the colder months. Kesa masira auto ko, I looked for the right oil & outside casa na lang ako with a longer OCI.
    I made an inquiry in an international car FB group w/regards to OCI & was surprised that they usually follow the 5k miles oci even though manual rec is 10k in Europe
    Last edited by bloowolf; November 19th, 2020 at 08:29 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    FSEO lol

5. Join Date
    Feb 2014

well they do sort of like if they spec "API xx". so it's like the minimum quality standard

FS is "better" but there's no industry standard on just how much better it is just how much better is brand-x PAO compared to a cheap group-III, or mineral oil for that matter. there's a lot of variability between brands and between group3 and group4. that makes it difficult to make "extended-OCI" recommendations

also FS was never intended specifically for extending OCI, though i agree a good FS can extend OCI somewhat. there's still a lot of stuff that accumulates in your oil that can't be removed by the filter so you could be shooting yourself in the foot by using FS for too long

6. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    yung mga nababailita naka 1,000,000miles na sasakyan, i bet they just use basic oil kasi mostly nasa probinsya lang sa america eh less choices pa sa mga branded popular oils

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kagalingan View Post
    yung mga nababailita naka 1,000,000miles na sasakyan, i bet they just use basic oil kasi mostly nasa probinsya lang sa america eh less choices pa sa mga branded popular oils
    i wonder,
    is there proof that using synthetic oil significantly adds years (and miles) to one's engine's life?
    is synthetic oil extending your engine's life, or is it just extending your oil change interval?
    Last edited by dr. d; November 19th, 2020 at 11:49 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kagalingan View Post
    You'll find walmart everywhere lol. Lowes and home depot are also common.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Found this old article (though, the overall concept is still sound):

Caveats: Those are in miles and it was specifically written for the North American audience. Some recalibration should be implied when applying this concept to our Asian setting.

Today's Oil Goes the Distance
    While the car-servicing industry is clear about its reasons for believing in the 3,000-mile oil change, customers cling to it only because they're largely unaware of advances in automotive technology. Among 2013 models, the majority of automakers call for oil changes at either 7,500 or 10,000 miles based on a normal service schedule, more than double the traditional 3,000-mile interval. The longest oil change interval is 15,000 miles for all Jaguar vehicles. The shortest oil change interval is 5,000 miles in some Hyundai and Kia models with turbo engines and Toyota vehicles that call for non-synthetic oil. Toyota has been shifting its fleet to 10,000-mile oil change intervals using synthetic oil.

"Oil has changed quite a bit and most of that isn't transparent to the average consuming public," said Robert Sutherland, principal scientist at Pennzoil Passenger Car Engine Lubricants.

Synthetic oils, such as the popular Mobil 1, are stretching oil change intervals, leaving the 3,000-mile mark in the dust. "The great majority of new vehicles today have a recommended oil change interval greater than 3,000 miles," said Mobil spokeswoman Kristen A. Hellmer. The company's most advanced synthetic product (Mobil 1 Extended Performance) is guaranteed for 15,000 miles.
    Stop Changing Your Oil!
    Last edited by oj88; November 19th, 2020 at 11:47 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Found this old article (though, the overall concept is still sound):

Caveats: Those are in miles and it was specifically written for the North American audience. Some recalibration should be implied when applying this concept to our Asian setting.

Stop Changing Your Oil!
    I think the intervals are shorter so that owners have time to change. On that same website Edmunds, there were two times where the used oil analysis mentioned "it can still go 2000miles".

Access Denied

Mineral , semi synthetic or fully synthetic?