New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 607 of 655 FirstFirst ... 507557597603604605606607608609610611617 ... LastLast
Results 6,061 to 6,070 of 6542
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowblue View Post
    My old 2011 Fiesta is using Shell Helix in the casa since day 1 and I always notice a slight oil burn smell (sensitive nose) after around 4000 RPM. I thought it is the norm so I don't usually exceed that RPM unless I don't have a choice. Around a year ago, I DIY and bought Amsoil in Lazada with Bosch filter and just did the oil change in Motech since it is just hundreds of meters away from our house. I did not expect much but lo and behold, initially I thought 4000+ RPM without any burning smell is cool. The engine sound is better too, maybe due to its Yamaha roots it's trying to encourage you to rev up more and more so I ended up 5000 max then one day hit 6000 RPM red line (yeah you won't notice it). Still no oil burning smell and no ill effects so far, did not expect me enjoying the old car 7 years after. My FXT is fed with Motul and can't wait to switch to Amsoil after warranty expires. Tried to but it is a long story. Was also not surprised that Amsoil won the Project farm youtube channel oil championship mid this year. Now I wonder how Amsoil will perform in a K24 engine revving 7000 RPM. I bet it will be more fun than my two cars combined lol.
    Motor oil smell in the cabin? Impossible.

Apart from the combustion chamber, the engine is pretty much a closed system. The little oil it ejects as a by-product of blow-by is ingested back into the combustion chamber to burn off. If you have an issue with oil consumption, it'll be out your vehicle's tailpipe. There is no way it can enter the cabin. And if you have a problem of exhaust gas coming into the cabin, you'll be smelling exhaust fumes before you smell the burnt oil.

The odor is likely from adhesives, upholstery or materials around the area where the cabin floor meets the firewall. That's usually where the hot exhaust pipe from the engine or even the cat passes through in close proximity. That area is also close to A/C intake and so it can easily be mistaken to be an issue with the A/C. You see, running at a sustained high RPM makes the exhaust pipe very hot... even glowing red in extreme situations.

I noticed the same with my then 07 Civic FD. If I do some spirited or aggressive driving (4-6k RPM), I will immediately smell trace odor of something burnt coming out of the A/C vents. Scared me in the beginning. Eventually, as the adhesive or material cures, the odor becomes less and less prominent. By the time I sold the vehicle 7 years later, the odor was gone.
    Last edited by oj88; November 13th, 2019 at 02:35 PM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post

The odor is likely from adhesives, upholstery or materials around the area where the cabin floor meets the firewall. That's usually where the hot exhaust pipe from the engine or even the cat passes through in close proximity. That area is also close to A/C intake and so it can easily be mistaken to be an issue with the A/C. You see, running at a sustained high RPM makes the exhaust pipe very hot... even glowing red in extreme situations.

I noticed the same with my then 07 Civic FD. If I do some spirited or aggressive driving (4-6k RPM), I will immediately smell trace odor of something burnt coming out of the A/C vents. Scared me in the beginning. Eventually, as the adhesive or material cures, the odor becomes less and less prominent. By the time I sold the vehicle 7 years later, the odor was gone.
    This must be the answer to my question. I've been wondering why I smell something burnt whenever I hit 6000 RPM in the Honda City 2010. I told my son to refrain hitting the redline unless necessary, like merging in lane when he's coming from the toll gate. I told my son that he should be at a speed of 60-80 kph so that he won't cause annoyance to the oncoming vehicles, that somehow builds up unnecessary traffic because of slow moving vehicles.

Going back, I don't remember smelling the same thing with Mazda 6 and I was hitting the redline unlike the Honda City. Same thing is true with the CR-V 98.

Is there something wrong with the Honda City?

Sorry, I'm off topic again. Mineral , semi synthetic or fully synthetic?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    My old 2011 Fiesta is using Shell Helix in the casa since day 1 and I always notice a slight oil burn smell (sensitive nose) after around 4000 RPM. I thought it is the norm so I don't usually exceed that RPM unless I don't have a choice. Around a year ago, I DIY and bought Amsoil in Lazada with Bosch filter and just did the oil change in Motech since it is just hundreds of meters away from our house. I did not expect much but lo and behold, initially I thought 4000+ RPM without any burning smell is cool. The engine sound is better too, maybe due to its Yamaha roots it's trying to encourage you to rev up more and more so I ended up 5000 max then one day hit 6000 RPM red line (yeah you won't notice it). Still no oil burning smell and no ill effects so far, did not expect me enjoying the old car 7 years after. My FXT is fed with Motul and can't wait to switch to Amsoil after warranty expires. Tried to but it is a long story. Was also not surprised that Amsoil won the Project farm youtube channel oil championship mid this year. Now I wonder how Amsoil will perform in a K24 engine revving 7000 RPM. I bet it will be more fun than my two cars combined lol.
    any oil that meets the vehicle requirement will work naman. amsoil is good naman.

the burning smell is not from the oil....

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Motor Image will allow you to use your own oil as long as it meets the requirement stated on the manual. With my FXT, I have used Motorcraft FS 5w30 and Zic X7 FS 5w30 with no issue at all. I just bought 6 quarts of Mag1 FS 5w30 and I intend to use that on my next change oil (which I do outside of casa already).

Fusion R gives its customers the option to use either Motul or Amsoil. They offer the Amsoil OE 5w30 for 400 per quart, a lot cheaper than the Motul option. This oil meets the requirement of Subaru for their turbo engines - 5w30 viscosity, fully synthetic, API SN/SN+ Resource Conserving, ILSAC GF-5.

By the way, what vehicle do you have with the Honda K24 engine?

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Motor oil smell in the cabin? Impossible.

Apart from the combustion chamber, the engine is pretty much a closed system. The little oil it ejects as a by-product of blow-by is ingested back into the combustion chamber to burn off. If you have an issue with oil consumption, it'll be out your vehicle's tailpipe. There is no way it can enter the cabin. And if you have a problem of exhaust gas coming into the cabin, you'll be smelling exhaust fumes before you smell the burnt oil.

Yeah my wife and kids noticed it too the main reason why I don't push it when not needed. The only item that changed is the oil but I won't go back to Helix anymore just to verify. You might be right and it is the adhesive materials being cured so yeah that might explain everything thanks. I did not experience it with other cars though but I admit it will be harder to go higher RPM other than fiesta.

Also I noticed the oil level in the dipstick is not increasing after a few months of usage unlike before where it usually go over the full mark months before the oil change. Compared to the oil level of my FXT which is increasing at an alarming rate the main reason why I wanted to switch to Amsoil on that thing as it might help with the fuel-oil dilution. My route is mostly within Makati within weekdays so can't really burn the fuel mixed in the oil within the DI engine.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Motor Image will allow you to use your own oil as long as it meets the requirement stated on the manual. With my FXT, I have used Motorcraft FS 5w30 and Zic X7 FS 5w30 with no issue at all. I just bought 6 quarts of Mag1 FS 5w30 and I intend to use that on my next change oil (which I do outside of casa already).

Fusion R gives its customers the option to use either Motul or Amsoil. They offer the Amsoil OE 5w30 for 400 per quart, a lot cheaper than the Motul option. This oil meets the requirement of Subaru for their turbo engines - 5w30 viscosity, fully synthetic, API SN/SN+ Resource Conserving, ILSAC GF-5.

By the way, what vehicle do you have with the Honda K24 engine?
    I tried bringing Amsoil in MI but they still filled Motul. I know since Motul is pale in color compared to Amsoil. I only discovered it a week after changing the oil. I should have double checked the color but it was under the sun when I checked in in Pasig MI before going back home. They also did not return the half bottle excess since I also bought 6 qts of oil, that should be the flag right there. Was planning to give the excess to the fiesta since it is still not 100% filled in my last oil change I previously go to BGC MI for my PMS but it is already closed. The main reason why I wanted to switch to Amsoil is to remedy the gasoline-oil dilution that I have since I'm mostly just stuck in Makati traffic over the weekdays. The problem with FXT is oil temperature won't even sometimes reach 96C over 1+ hour ride under Makati traffic especially in the morning. I assume going to Fusion R will void warranty?

I don't have a K24 but I'm contemplating between a used K24 CRV and Innova. I won't use it though so I'm leaning over Innova. Just curious how fun it would be in 7000 but then again priorities.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    any oil that meets the vehicle requirement will work naman. amsoil is good naman.

the burning smell is not from the oil....
    Yup. It must be the adhesive materials burning as oj88 suggested. Agree Amsoil is good, did not expect me enjoying the 8 year old beater fiesta just because of the oil. I can't remember when was the last time it revved that way using the casa oil. Now I don't even have to wait for the idle to drop to 800RPM before moving so it will purr smoothly. It might be psychological but I even ended up liking to drive the fiesta more than FXT in the city after the oil switch but it can't just catch the yellow light that can cause a hefty 2500 penalty. For long SLEX / NLEX driving and rain I still prefer FXT due to NVH and ride height but it is not oil related anymore unless you mention the DI fuel-oil dilution that won't happen in long provincial trips.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mask Rider Blac View Post
    Good to know...
    What part did you DIY?

Sent from my CPH1911 using Tapatalk
    Cool. I did not do the actual oil change and brake cleaning, a guy in Motech did it. Just bought the consumables so it is not DIY. I only did the non messy and easy part such as changing the air and cabin filter among other stuff that is outside the scope of this thread.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first post!

You have a nice username. This reminds me of a certain guy whose handle is "Old Blue", while yours is "yellow blue".
    Thank you. Been lurking for more than a decade since I don't have anything else to share.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bloowolf View Post
    If I may, cause I own the same car, albeit with a higher mileage. I presume you do a 10k pms sched of pms. Even if you rarely use your car, 10k is 10ks worth of running time. Meaning, it is time for an o/c, filter change. Have you seen how dirty the oil is at 10k? Full of soot. At 10k, you will also have to change/clean the engine air filter, clean the brakes, rotate tires & others. Why not just buy the oil filter from hyundai (P600+-) & Zic oil FS (6 lits at P1,600 +-) from Lazada & just have it serviced outside?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hello, Sir bloowolf!

Apologies for the late reply, was busy the past few weeks and wasn't able to subscribe to the thread regarding your reply.

Took your advise and proceeded to have my vehicle's oil change serviced outside of the casa. Would like to ask for your advise regarding the changes made.

- 5W40 Oil, 5 Liters
    - JS Asakashi Oil Filter
    - Hyunda Mobis Air Filter

First time to have 5W40 Oil on my vehicle, used 5W30 in the past, but due to the 5W30 being unavailable upon purchase, was resolved to 5W40 instead. Will try using 5W40 and observe for a while.

Anyways, any reviews for the JS Asakashi Oil Filter? Checking the box and it says good for 10k KMS before Oil Change.

Thanks!

Mineral , semi synthetic or fully synthetic?