New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 567 of 655 FirstFirst ... 467517557563564565566567568569570571577617 ... LastLast
Results 5,661 to 5,670 of 6542
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    In our conditions, OCI should ideally be operating time-based than odo. Our cars in static traffic are functioning like gensets.Mineral , semi synthetic or fully synthetic?
    Good synthetics will also help push carbon build-up back in DI engines.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    many years ago, when synthetic oil was not as commonly used as today,
    "experts" recommended synthetic oil change every 10K km, but filter replacement every 5K km.
    they mentioned the same reasoning as oj's's above: while the oil may still be good, the gunk has to be removed.
    It is still done by Toyota to this day. The gunk is removed via the filter. You still replace the filter mid-OCI.

Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    oci by manufacturers then adjusted to conditions and observations.. sounds about right

meron kase blindingly following suggestions online lol
    It's not blindingly following. It's called research. I don't think my post was fully understood.

7k or even 8k OCI is still less than what the dealer is recommending when using fully-synthetic oil, which is every 10k. If any, my OCI is still several notches better than the dealers' recommendation. To think that the Toyota FS they're peddling is only API CF, while the one I'm currently using is API CI-4.

Though, I still drop by the dealer for the other stuff every 6 months. I just do my oil and filter changes elsewhere.
    Last edited by oj88; January 5th, 2019 at 11:35 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    wow 3 different opinions on oci. all correct 👏

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    wow 3 different opinions on oci. all correct 👏
    Hmm. I’m not sure what to make of that.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Hmm. I’m not sure what to make of that.
    youre in the middle.
    trav is on time base
    vodka on distance base..

all engines are lubricated. at the very least meron interval. some dont know. some replace after 10000km after 2years lol.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    A 1 day old oil will look the same as a 6mos old oil, that is true to all diesel engines.

Not unless we have the proper oil analysis then all we have abt oci are opinions.

The people who made the engines came up with the recommended OCI schedule, oil type and grade based from research and careful study and they have written these recommendations in the manual.

As a general rule, the more frequent you change oil, the better for the engine longevity.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    youre in the middle.
    trav is on time base
    vodka on distance base..

all engines are lubricated. at the very least meron interval. some dont know. some replace after 10000km after 2years lol.
    Ah well, indeed that’s where I am.

I do around 1k average every month. I think it’s a waste to replace a full-synth oil every 6 months. On the other hand, waiting to replace it every 12 months seems too long. So I do the filter change around the 4th month and oil+filter change around the 8th month, give or take a few weeks..

I am already doing the filter change myself. Soon, I’ll also be doing the oil change on my own. I have already bought 2 Wix filters, 7 liters of oil, and 10 replacement oil drain crush washers.
    Last edited by oj88; January 6th, 2019 at 01:19 AM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    A 1 day old oil will look the same as a 6mos old oil, that is true to all diesel engines.

Not unless we have the proper oil analysis then all we have abt oci are opinions.

The people who made the engines came up with the recommended OCI schedule, oil type and grade based from research and careful study and they have written these recommendations in the manual.

As a general rule, the more frequent you change oil, the better for the engine longevity.
    Try to wrap your head around the fact that the manual is ambiguous on the oil type (mineral or FS) from which they based the recommended OCI. We all know that FS will outlive mineral oil. And this is actually confirmed by the dealer who are, in fact, even pushing for a 10k (or 12 months) OCI if you’re using FS. Otherwise, it’s every 5k or 6 months with mineral oil.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Ah well, indeed that’s where I am.

I do around 1k average every month. I think it’s a waste to replace a full-synth oil every 6 months. On the other hand, doing it every 12 months seems too long. So I do the filter change on the 4th month and oil+filter change on the 8th month or whereabouts.

I am already doing the filter change myself. Soon, I’ll also be doing the oil change as well on my own. I have already bought 2 Wix filters, 7 liters of oil, and a 10-pack replacement oil drain crush washers.
    I DIY oil changes, too, but have 1 less part to change & worry about. Replaced the drain plugs w/ Fumoto. No mess, no crush washers to replace, no drain plug to strip nor leak. Plus...easy to drain on inadvertent overfills.Mineral , semi synthetic or fully synthetic?
    https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-106-.../dp/B07D9FD27F
    These are model specific. Match your drain size & thread.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    I DIY oil changes, too, but have 1 less part to change & worry about. Replaced the drain plugs w/ Fumoto. No mess, no crush washers to replace, no drain plug to strip nor leak. Plus...easy to drain on inadvertent overfills.Mineral , semi synthetic or fully synthetic?
    https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-106-.../dp/B07D9FD27F

I was thinking of getting the Fumoto. Somehow, I got railroaded and just bought the washers. They were like P200 a pack, which should last me at least the next 6 years.

Mineral , semi synthetic or fully synthetic?