New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Our car, a Toyota Vios (2008 model) has been in the parking area for over 2 months without moving an inch.
    I start the car every two weeks or so and let it run idly for a minute and that's it.
    Somebody told me to have it checked because some of the parts might be corroded or the oil might have dried up or whatever.

Again, my ignorance prevents me from doing anything other than believe what he says. But thankfully, Tsikot.com exists :D

So my question is: Does an idle car really need as much under-the-hood maintenance as an everyday-use car?

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ignition View Post
    Our car, a Toyota Vios (2008 model) has been in the parking area for over 2 months without moving an inch.
    I start the car every two weeks or so and let it run idly for a minute and that's it.
    Somebody told me to have it checked because some of the parts might be corroded or the oil might have dried up or whatever.

Again, my ignorance prevents me from doing anything other than believe what he says. But thankfully, Tsikot.com exists :D

So my question is: Does an idle car really need as much under-the-hood maintenance as an everyday-use car?

Thanks!

if the car is parked under covers, there is no need for other checks and services. if it was parked outside exposed to the elements, the brake rotors might have accumulated surface rust which should disappear after a few miles drive

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yes, i think so. it is because the fluids degrade overtime... degradation is the same as using the car or not using the car.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the quick and helpful replies!

jick.cejoco,
    You're right! The brake rotors did accumulate rust!

1D4LV,
    Sad to know that not using a car practically costs just as much as using it :D

By the way, we'll be taking the car to the casa to clean up the mess caused by stray cats (another problem brought about by an idle car). what questions should I be asking the mechanic to make sure he doesn't try to upsell me with various expensive services?

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    let it warm up then italian tuneup sa highway! pero be safe syempre

6. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Thanks, miked!
    I had to Google Italian tuneup. Imagine ko na lang na Ferrari ang Vios namin :D

Maintenance Requirements for a Car That Hasn't Been Used In Over Two Months