New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    About P850/L.

Toyota i think is just a re-packed mobil1 and you could get it at cash and carry. I just stopped buying frm them because of better and cheaper alternative oils, but mobil1 is the number1 synthetic maker.
    Mobil 1 0w40
    4L P2,800; P725/L
    Ultimate All-Round Performance
    Advanced Full Synthetic Engine Oil
    API SN; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; Nissan GT-R, BMW Longlife-01
    For Gas & Diesel Engines

Mobil 1 5w30 Dexos1
    4L P2,500; P600/L
    Newer Vehicle Formula
    Advanced Full Synthetic
    API SN; ACEA A1/B1; ILSAC GF-5
    For Gas Engine

From FB seller

2. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    how do you folks conclude that a motor oil is good? by putting brand X and brand Y on two different cars then doing a compression test after several years?

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Folks at BITOG compare wear metals and TBN from several used oil analyses. I think that's the best way to go. But your normal driving habits, route, payload, traffic conditions and other variables (tire pressure/fuel etc) have to be consistent. Oil analysis is expensive at 1k+a pop.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    how do you folks conclude that a motor oil is good? by putting brand X and brand Y on two different cars then doing a compression test after several years?
    Thats one way to test but not practical for end-users. The proper test is oil analysis to check for wear metals.

For end-users without access to lab tests its safe to assume what is written on MSDS esp the TBN values as it describes how it will absorb the acidity as oil wears out, the higher the better. Marine application oils have higher TBN as the application is more harsh and prolonged. With the newer formulation of base oils, mineral, semi-synth-fully synth have no much difference esp if you are doing the 5k/6mos OCI. The general rule by the mechs, its better to change oil frequently than believe on the marketing claims but you should be aware of how the oil and filters performs and what condition you belong because sometimes oil can be extended safely(to cut cost).

Re dexos2 oil, its rare even Exxon Mobil has to produce the ESP formulation for GM specification. Most of dexos2 are in Europe because of many cars using VM Motori and small diesels.
    Last edited by 12vdc; December 16th, 2018 at 11:01 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Salamat sa replies. so basicslly pare-pareho lang tlg. Shell user tlg ako at wala ako problema sa shell oil. maganda lang yung offer saken sa pms na liqui moly yung ginagamet. reputable german oil nmn daw sya so try naten.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    for ordinary driving, i guess ordinary mineral oil will be fine.
    but in extremes of driving, where fractions of a second spell the difference between winning and losing, "we need every little bit of help".

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    for ordinary driving, i guess ordinary mineral oil will be fine.
    but in extremes of driving, where fractions of a second spell the difference between winning and losing, "we need every little bit of help".
    It is always good to check the manual for the oil requirement. In the case of turbocharged cars, manufacturers require low viscosity fully synthetic oils.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    It is always good to check the manual for the oil requirement. In the case of turbocharged cars, manufacturers require low viscosity fully synthetic oils.
    of course.
    it goes without saying, we have to follow the manufacturer's requirements.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Depends on how you drive, where you drive and how long your oil change interval is. I found no difference in both power and fuel economy using casa oil, motul, zic and liquimoly. If you figure in the cost of oil, oil change intervals (5kkm vs 10kkm) and casa service cost vs non-casa the higher priced oil more than makes up.

I steered away from motul since i heard it is not what is claimed, that it is fs and it is not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12