New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    on a 1996 lancer EL, how do i adjust the air/fuel mixture?

gusto ko sana ma-lower (ng konti lang) yung fuel part, im doing 7-7.5 km/liter (city driving) kasi eh. DIY sana.

thanks.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    kelangan pa alisin yung air filter to reach the air/fuel screw no?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    bardigones, alam ko yes. you have to remove the filter...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Most high fuel consumption are due to different origin and not an A/F mix problem...mostly driving habits, wrong rpm shift (kaya maganda sana meron kang tachometer in case you don't have one), busted engine (maybe one or 2 pistons have loose compression, etc), low grade fuel, busted plugs, busted ignition coil, wala sa tune-up, madumi ang air-filter, air-filter is sucking hot air due to lack of insulation ng exhaust (that is why Cold Air Intake works), and having a big engine (1600 or 1800cc) just to name a few reasons.

In case that you feel it is the carb A/F mix then this is my opinion:

I don't think kailangan mo pang alisin ang airfilter cover. Is that a solex? There are usually 2 main screws for adjustment - one for idling and the other is A/F. Since these 2 main screws are usually ginagalaw, it has to be easily accessible.

The idling screw is for attaining the right RPM as specified by your engine (do you have this info?).

The A/F is a bit tricky.

CAUTION FOR FIRST TIMERS:
    ALWAYS REMEMBER THE POSITION OF THE ORIGINAL AND THE NUMBER OF TURNS YOU DID TO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL SETTING THAT YOU HAVE NOW.

Here goes, I would run the engine at the right RPM (adjust the idling if needed and preferably you should have a tachometer). When it is on a normal warmed up engine temp na. I would begin the changes.

I would then turn the A/F screw clockwise to close it (give less fuel)...I'd do this slowly....the point of close would make the engine die taking note the number of turns that you did. When the engine die (if it does not die, your idling must be high)....I will then re-turn the screw counter clockwise back to the orig setting.

Restart the engine....it should start like the original status.

Next step is that I would open the A/F (this time counter clock wise. Same method...count the turns until the engine choke to death due to high fuel.

Re-turn to original position and re-start. You should also not have a problem re-starting it.

Add the 2 number or turns. Calculate the 2/3rds' turn from the lean (dies due to lack of fuel) this is the theoretical stoich mix.
    Hope hindi ito malabo o nakakagulo.

From that stoich mix....your engine is maximizing A/F mixture. You can turn clockwise to make it a bit lean, but this would hurt your power needs in case of overtaking.

Theoretically the stoich mix is really the best set-up. Chances are, your current set-up is just right or just a bit rich.

Before I end it, most engine problems (includine high fuel consumption) is not carburator or A/F ratio related...if you take into account all causes, about 15-20% lang probability ang carb or A/F ratio ang origin ng problema.

I could be wrong too you. The above was base on my experience (I am just a DIYer and not a mechanic by profession) and it works for me.

my 2 cents. peace.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    alam ko s timing lang yun db para ma adjust ng mabuti?? thanks hindi ko din kasi alam e tnx....

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Innocent question lang po.

With regards to the ignition coil, are there modifications being done to increase the car's HP?

lancer carb: air/fuel mixture adjustment