New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto_Xer
    Not to be an ass but, I've never seen HKS as being publicized to be used in F1 or any Top Fuel, Indy, Nascar, Baja series, as well as being used by the U.S. armed forces during Desert Storm.

true true..i also read independent testers of aftermarket filters..hks had the least filtering efficiency ata.
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvDetailing
    max95fx03: Thanks for the info. How about performance gains? Is there any? Fuel Savings if any? Thanks again.
    very minimal if any. generally about 1 or 2 hp. there are also claims of improved mileage, but again not that significant. ill check my comp once i installed kn to my other car. when i installed the drop in type years ago, my maxima sounded better esp on higher rpm. i change it again to jwt cone type air system and it is even louder (in a good way) and i can feel a more immediate response from the engine (butt dyno tested). i got this from a diy maxima site after they dynoed one with the jwt system and claimed about 8 hp gain.

the kn site list some gains per model but not all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by zechs
    how can you know if you overoiled it? hehe stupid question ba?
    stupid? not at all. last time i cleaned my filter, i sprayed oil on both sides of the media and did it too much. i can tell its too much since i see lots of oil "balls" floating on the media, and it bleeds a little when placed against paper towel. i should have sprayed only the dirty side, the side where air enters, and let the oil get absorbed. as a result, i have to clean and reoil over again.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Interesting info.
    If you were going to filter the air to your vacuum cleaner.

Here's some more info.

http://knfilters.com/faq.htm#10

Take particular note of the phrase SAE J726. I believe no other aftermarket filter can claim being tested to that standard.

With regards to fuel efficiency improvement.
    As always it will vary from vehicle to vehicle but according to alfalfameister their Ford Expedition improved by an average of 0.8km/liter in fuel consumption monitored over a month period each, before & after the K&N drop in filter installation on it. Makati to Alabang drive cycle.
    Iirc, it was from 7.5km/liter to 8.4km/liter.
    That's more than a 10% increase in fuel economy any way you look at it.

P.S. Harley Davidson's uses K&N as an OE filter.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by zechs
    how can you know if you overoiled it? hehe stupid question ba?
    As max mentioned, oil only from the outside.

What we do after oiling is we put the filter on top of an old newspaper, if oil pools on the paper after half an hour. There's too much oil.
    Re wash & re oil using much less oil this time.
    Repeat if necessary until you don't see the oil pooling anymore.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Tanong lang po... Where can we buy apexi power intake air filter?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto_Xer
    Yup, that is correct.
    If you overoil it will be sucked in.
    But since it comes pre-oil from the factory there's really no danger of that until after you've cleaned it.
    That's also why if you've over oiled it, you should wash it again & re do the procedure, as it indicates in the service instructions.

you don't have to redo the process if you over oiled your filter. after oiling your filter let it sit on top of a newspaper para ung excess oil mo e bumagsak sa newspaper then after few hours you can put it back to your airbox without a prob. after cleaning your airfilter or cone filter always wait a few hours before putting it back to your car.. let it atleast dry first.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    auto-xer a.k.a. ferman installed K&N cone filters in my pajero and ex-ride strada. except for the sucking noise (/w/c never fails to annoy my wife), the performance improvement is manifested in throttle response particularly during acceleration phase. There is also an improvement in fuel mileage in combination with biodiesel usage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
K&N World's Best Air Filter Video