New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    does anybody have a k&n open type air filter installed on their diesel engine. it is worth the money? Pros and cons?

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Here's mine on my Dmax...

I also have a similar one on my Pajero. In my honest opinion, it is worth it but I wouldn't recommend it if you drive daily in extremely dusty conditions. It adds power to my acceleration. Some don't like it because they find it too cumbersome when its time to "recharge" or clean it but I like to work my way around the engine.

Don't be surprised if there will be a lot of contradictions about aftermarket filters like K&N because it is a never ending debate against stock paper filters .

In the end it is really up to you and what you want to achieve and expect from this filter.
    Last edited by Memphis Raines; September 25th, 2007 at 08:56 PM.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    Here's mine on my Dmax...

I also have a similar one on my Pajero. In my honest opinion, it is worth it but I wouldn't recommend it if you drive daily in extremely dusty conditions. It adds power to my acceleration. Some don't like it because they find it too cumbersome when its time to "recharge" or clean it but I like to work my way around the engine.

Don't be surprised if there will be a lot of contradictions about aftermarket filters like K&N because it is a never ending debate against stock paper filters .

In the end it is really up to you and what you want to achieve and expect from this filter.
    Sir, saan kayo nagpakabit nito? malaking conversion ba ang ginawa? balak ko rin magpakabit sa akin soon.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    I'm in the Visayas po kasi but then it ain't that complex to modify.

It's a 20 minute job. We simply took out the big stock enclosure and secured the extra brackets that you see. I had to make simple bracket found below it that I screwed to one of those fender bolts under it. That's it.

This is to keep it from sagging below and also helps lessen shaking.

You'll be surprised how much space is available when you take out the stock filter housing!

Halos lahat ng kilala ko in our town na may Dmax is using this cone type from K&N.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Aren't diesels run via fuel input and not throttle input? Diesels ang alam ko they take in as much air as they need and regulate power via fuel input. That's why people claim that these higher airflow filters have no effect on diesels.

I haven't tried them on mine but some have. Noticeable difference is the noise, for one. There was a thread about these and the K&N types with larger pores also allowed more dirt in compared to the stock paper filters.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    One potential problem I see with this set up is when you ford rivers or deep water.

The open nature of the filter makes it succeptible to inhaling water.

Another drawback is that you can't use it with snorkels.

But then again, if your rigs are street queens, then it should be no problem

My two cents

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    sa dmax ko din 'to,,bahala na kayo humusga basta feel ko acceleration difference...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    I have k & n installed on my diesel ride, there's noticeable improvement in acceleration but it is much noisier.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by falken View Post
    I have k & n installed on my diesel ride, there's noticeable improvement in acceleration but it is much noisier.
    same here ok lang sakin yung noise...sanayan lang...

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    So that means that you guys have a cone type.

There are some who prefer the drop-in type for less hissing noise.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
K&N Air Filter on Diesel Engines