New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    gud day!

ask ko lng pag sinabi bng non interference engine kahit maputol yun timing belt talagang walang masisira sa makina? categorically as in wala talagang masisira sa makina?

ang 4G93 carburetor ba ng mitsubishi is a non interference engine? anong engines ba ng mitsu ang interference at non interference?

thnx

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boydapa
    ang 4G93 carburetor ba ng mitsubishi is a non interference engine? anong engines ba ng mitsu ang interference at non interference?
    http://autorepair.about.com/od/gloss...elt-inf2_4.htm

Last edited by isa1023; September 14th, 2010 at 03:33 PM.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Sorry for bumping this old thread.

Are inteference designs related to fuel economy?

I mean, Mazda engines are known to be gas guzzlers, and I was thinking it's related to the non-interference design.

Basically, AFAIK, non-interference engines have deeper combustion chambers (please verify) and more clearance. I thought it takes more gas to combust inside to complete the four strokes, which consequently equates to poor fuel economy.

I'm quite confused.

Maybe someone could shed light on this.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Fuel economy is not a major concern with interference type engines. Actually, the main issue with these engines is that they use rubber belts instead of a timing chains, and when the belt fails, the engine will continue to run and a piston might impact an open intake valve. Needless to say, this will result in damage to one or more valves and possibly the piston as well.

Also, rubber belts are rated for about 80,000 to 100,000 km. But, failure can occur at anytime and there is no easy way to conduct regular inspection. Timing chains may also fail, but they're stronger than belts and have a longer service life. In fact, unless something seriously goes wrong inside the engine, a timing chain will last for the entire lifetime of the vehicle.

interference/non interference engines?