New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Does the TS detect a whoosh of rushing air whenever he opens up the fuel cap? The problem could also be caused by too much vacuum in the tank.

For emissions purposes, the fuel tank is maintained at a slight vacuum to prevent it from venting unburned fuel into the atmosphere. If the vacuum is strong enough, it could cause the tank to buckle.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Does the TS detect a whoosh of rushing air whenever he opens up the fuel cap? The problem could also be caused by too much vacuum in the tank.

For emissions purposes, the fuel tank is maintained at a slight vacuum to prevent it from venting unburned fuel into the atmosphere. If the vacuum is strong enough, it could cause the tank to buckle.
    I do experienced that, whenever I do refills I could hear air escaping.

There's also this weird thing: Usually I stay inside the car at the parking lot in the morning because I usually comes in too early. After 5-10 minutes I would hear a huge tug or was a huge popping sound underneath the car and it could be the gas tank?

Do you experience this loud "tog" sound underneath? If not try to stay inside the car after you drive it. The sound usually comes in after 5-10 minutes. I guess its the air pressure being relieve and it flexes the gas tank to original position.

3. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mile2 View Post
    I do experienced that, whenever I do refills I could hear air escaping.

There's also this weird thing: Usually I stay inside the car at the parking lot in the morning because I usually comes in too early. After 5-10 minutes I would hear a huge tug or was a huge popping sound underneath the car and it could be the gas tank?

Do you experience this loud "tog" sound underneath? If not try to stay inside the car after you drive it. The sound usually comes in after 5-10 minutes. I guess its the air pressure being relieve and it flexes the gas tank to original position.
    No Tog sound... But whenever I open the gas filler i Hear a sound like your opening a new bottle of soda...

Its either the strap thing or very poor gas tank... as in parang delata lang... hehehe...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006

Is your Innova Gas or Diesel?

Mine is Gasoline VVTI 2.0

5. Join Date
    May 2004

Is your Innova Gas or Diesel?

Mine is Gasoline VVTI 2.0
    Its a Gasoline VVTI 2.0 din po... innova J

6. Join Date
    May 2004
    update lang. they will change again the gas tank. sbi ko nga "obvious ba, eh may butas nga" hehehe... they will shoulder the cost...

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    update lang hindi pa nagagawa yung innova namin pero nasa Toyota Quezon Ave na po... Ang Sabi ng SA nila pag nag palit ng Gas tank dapat pati filler cap and charcoal Canister mag palit din... kung hindi daw mabubutas ulet yan.. Due to Pressure Build up daw...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Just been to casa to claim warranty for my fuel tank with huge mysterious dent just beneath the front strap.

Culprit of the Innova gas tank warp/leak was the filler cap, they disassembled the filler cap with me watching and viola!!! the air breather was clogged with soot like dirt that forms like a solid charcoal. They clean the filler cap's breather filter and vacuum buildup inside the tank was gone.

Evidently, Toyota knows this problem but no recall was done for the "FAULTY FILLER CAP DESIGN!!!". Newer Innova 2009 now has new design filler cap with larger breather holes and much more breather holes than its predecessor.

So if, you have older versions of Innova, Fortuner or Hilux be very cautious that one day your fuel filler cap's breather will get clogged and this will damage your fuel tank. While I was at the dealer's service area I notice another gas tank on the working table and when I look at it has the same large dent spot and same leak point (just beneath the front gas tank strap which is the weakest point).

Negative pressure builds up and thereby sucking the gas tank floor inward, and when the negative pressure is gone or when the car's engine is off for some time the gas tank floor will push back to its orginal form. The constant flippping inward and flipping outward of the gas tank will eventually crack open the corner bend just beneath the position of the front gas tank strap.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Just been to casa to claim warranty for my fuel tank with huge mysterious dent just beneath the front strap.

Culprit of the Innova gas tank warp/leak was the filler cap, they disassembled the filler cap with me watching and viola!!! the air breather was clogged with soot like dirt that forms like a solid charcoal. They clean the filler cap's breather filter and vacuum buildup inside the tank was gone.

Evidently, Toyota knows this problem but no recall was done for the "FAULTY FILLER CAP DESIGN!!!". Newer Innova 2009 now has new design filler cap with larger breather holes and much more breather holes than its predecessor.

So if, you have older versions of Innova, Fortuner or Hilux be very cautious that one day your fuel filler cap's breather will get clogged and this will damage your fuel tank. While I was at the dealer's service area I notice another gas tank on the working table and when I look at it has the same large dent spot and same leak point (just beneath the front gas tank strap which is the weakest point).

Negative pressure builds up and thereby sucking the gas tank floor inward, and when the negative pressure is gone or when the car's engine is off for some time the gas tank floor will push back to its orginal form. The constant flippping inward and flipping outward of the gas tank will eventually crack open the corner bend just beneath the position of the front gas tank strap.

10. Join Date
    May 2005

ref:
    Pg 34 (2005-06 Innova manual)

Filler cap? Is this the same as the fuel tank cap?

What needs to be changed inorder to prevent the problem (dents and leaks)?

Hope you can provide pics. Thanks!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Innova Gas tank Leak