New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    s_quilicot, no more than 5k kms.

robin_micmac, you'll lose a lot of engine response with such a thick oil. sayang lang. use the viscosity recommended by your manufacturer for your specific engine. get good quality oil in that viscosity and that's all your engine will need.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robin_micmac View Post
    I was just actually curious because ive seen some people using MOTUL 300V Le Mans 20W60 during hillclimb events and some races in BRC. 20W60 is even thicker Although most of them use it on older engines. I saw it being used on a Porsche 911. i was just wondering if they get really better protection from it
    It depends on how old the engine is. If it's a really old sportscar engine with poor tolerances, then they need the oil that thick to keep it from blowing past the piston rings. If it's a modern (90's and up) car, you'll never need more than 10w40 or 20w50... if you need more than 20w50, it's time for an engine overhaul, anyway.

If your car is the mini in your avatar, and you plan on racing it, a 20w50 oil is a good idea, just for protection...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robin_micmac View Post
    I was just actually curious because ive seen some people using MOTUL 300V Le Mans 20W60 during hillclimb events and some races in BRC. 20W60 is even thicker Although most of them use it on older engines. I saw it being used on a Porsche 911. i was just wondering if they get really better protection from it
    true, better protection for a race engine but I'm sure they are not considering fuel consumption and this cars have double the output of normal car, that 911 maybe is an air cooled engine, that's why they are using that oil grade... 20w60 is not for a daily driven car, 19cst on 100c degree, no no

henry

4. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Thank you very much mga sirs sa mga inputs ninyo. I agree its really thick and i think pang mga weekend track day warriors lang ang visco rating na 60. Protection nga for sure madami ung oil na yun kahit matagalang race pero response and fuel economy sure na olats yun. Salamt po ulit!

5. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    all oils are used according to A) how much power you make B) what the outside conditions are like C) if its gas or diesel

just do your research and test and try options out in reasonable proportions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
If you are to choose an oil rating, which one will will you use?