New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I was just looking for some auv's at a certain dealer of used car when I chanced upon a good-looking Starex 2006 grx crdi for sale. The interior and exterior were nice.

What caught my attention was that the odometer showed 4326 kms only which the sales rep confirmed. When I looked at the service passport, there was no oil change yet. It was bought in Dec 2006.

What would be the effect of this almost 3 years with no change oil on the engine? If you buy this suv, what would be your first actions to bring the suv to proper form?

Also, is it possible to tamper the digital odometer?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    If the odometer is just under 5k km, the van's practically brand new. Consider this fact when you do test drives. For example, the engine should run like new and the body free of squeaks and rattles. The engine bay should also be clean, plastic parts still fresh.

First order of business after buying it is to have Hyundai perform PMS on it. Change engine oil, MTF/ATF, PSF and filters. Have the brakes checked out too for stuck pistons/leaks or if it requires change fluid as well.

Tampering the digital odometer will require special equipment that your Hyundai dealership would only be able to afford. But still, their's always possibility that it's tampered, but it's very unlikely.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005

If everything is cleared, then it should be a good buy.

I highly suggest oil change after the purchase.

7808:spam:

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Tampering of digital odometer is very possible. A car not being used that much for 3 years is highly unlikely. I will exert extra effort to really know the history. Its just too good to be true. Re oil change, it very hard to determine the extent of the damage.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    tyres. look at all of them, including the spare.

5k on the odo should show very little wear, and all the tyres should match. even the spare should be unused, or at the very least, still have little rubber "hairs" sticking out the sides.

3 years no oil change...hmmm... oks lang yan. do 1 oil change using mid cheap oil, then change again after several hundred kms using high quality oil.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Thanks guys for the replies. I have requested my bank to check it if they would accept it for financing.

I will bear in mind pointers made by oj88 in testing if I could haggle the 799T price.

The thread of the tires are well-defined. The tools are really shiny. I was not able to look at the spare. The engine is not very shiny though. Just looking at it seems brand new with the shiny crdi emblem.

When I inquired about the previous owner, they said he went abroad. he he.
    There were Innovas and Ford Trekkers in the dealer but their mileage were high like 30T, 50T, 70T. Only the Starex had the lowest.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Malay mo, nilagyan ng engine additive. Just like Pertua, once you add it on the engine, your next oil change is after 10,000kms. Yan na yung nilagay ko sa aking 94 vanette; parang bago na ang tunog ng makina at tumahimik sya at lumakas ang hatak.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    if everything is fine, that's a good buy na specially kung makakahingi kapa ng
    konting discount. i strongly doubt that a digital odo can be tampered specially the risk is too high in case it get's messed up. just imagine, being claimed less than 5K in the odo and the odo is defective, only a moron will believe that.

i have the same model & year, all i can say is after all these years, i'm very happy with my starex 2006 crdi performance.

what i can suggest once you proceed to buy, better change the oil and change it every 5K run. the rest should be ok, otherwise you should have noticed it during a test drive. lastly, make sure to always keep a blanket in the car during long drive cause it can really get very cold in the cabin.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    if everything is fine, that's a good buy na specially kung makakahingi kapa ng
    konting discount. i strongly doubt that a digital odo can be tampered specially the risk is too high in case it get's messed up. just imagine, being claimed less than 5K in the odo and the odo is defective, only a moron will believe that.

i have the same model & year, all i can say is after all these years, i'm very happy with my starex 2006 crdi performance.

what i can suggest once you proceed to buy, better change the oil and change it every 5K run. the rest should be ok, otherwise you should have noticed it during a test drive. lastly, make sure to always keep a blanket in the car during long drive cause it can really get very cold in the cabin.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Change all the filters even of the car has run less than 5k kms. Maximum filter life is 1 year once it has been immersed in oil or any petroleum product. Quality of filter media deteriorates over time, can disintigrate, and do extensive damage to the engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hyundai grx crdi Starex no change oil for 3 years