New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    I drive hybrids and I've found the techniques pulse and glide and driving without brakes really help. Also I try to park facing forward when I can and run errands on the same day to minimize trips. We also use our hybrid with better MPGs more vs. the one with less MPGs.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    With my Haima7, driving conscious or unconscious doesn't really do much about my FC.. I am trying the 2000 RPM this full tank, and ayun, parang 8KM/L din ang kalalabasan. Eh before, I am shifting sa 2500RPM mark, parang wala namang pinagkaiba.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    parang hindi effective yan sir ah.
    idol, sa carb ata effective yan. kasi ganyan sentra ko po the slower (lower rpm) mas matipid sya. pero sa bagal mo parang di worth it yung 0.1~1kpl na additional.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    travel light (dont make your car a luggage)

when approaching an inclined road (eg flyover, bridge) release the gas pedal right before you reach the crest. youll have enough momentum to go over it & still have enough assistance from gravity to coast along the declivity of the bridge

dont run the car idle more than 3 minutes. if you have to wait for someone for more than 3 minutes, you are better of shutting the engine

use thin oil so you wont have to idle that much after starting your engine from a cold state. but considering the age of your engine, it could be leaking oil already so using thin or less sticky oil could be more costly

plan your jaunts well to minimize shutting of the engine in between trips. starting the engine gulps 3 minutes worth of gas running in idle mode

always make it a point to park under the shade

5. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kisshmet View Post
    always make it a point to park under the shade
    How does this affect gas consumption?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vel0city View Post
    It doesn't. Unless somebody wants to BS me into thinking that shade = lower temperature = more dense fuels. Because it doesn't work.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    avoid traffic. avoid driving during the rush hour period.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vel0city View Post
    it helps you keep aircon usage sparingly

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    increase torque.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Once you've done the tune-up, spark plugs and etcetera, there's a little more you can do.

1. Rolling Resistance: Assuming your tires are in decent condition (and if they're not, consider replacing them... you shouldn't keep tires for more than five or six years, even if they're not bald), inflate them beyond the door sticker pressure. For typical car tires, you will see massive reductions in rolling resistanceat up to 40 psi, after which, improvements drop off. 35 is a good midpoint. I've seen some service drivers use 45 psi in their car tires (truck tires are at around 50-60 psi standard). Only issue from doing this is it will hurt hijjus if you drive over rough roads all the time.

2. Start-up: Don't idle your car in the morning.

Repeat: DON'T IDLE YOUR CAR. Once you've checked your water and oil level, start the car, buckle in and adjust your mirrors and seat. The time you take to buckle in and get comfortable is all the time it takes for the oil to start circulating. Drive off as soon as possible.A cold car and carb use craploads of gas, so you might as well get a few kilometers out of them while the car is warming up.

3. Pulse and glide: You don't need to use gas every single second the car is moving. If you're coming up on a stoplight and intersection, just use enough gas to get going, then coast down to your target speed. In steady moving traffic, this is difficult, and it will get people mad at you, but traffic is not steady moving. Do it properly and nobody will notice you're doing it.

4. Brake less: Drive as if your brakes are dead. In other words, leave space enough so that if the guy in front of you brakes to a stop, you don't have to brake right away. Less stress pa. You won't be cursing and slamming on your brakes. This saves gas because you need gas to build up speed. If you use the brakes, you're scrubbing off all that speed you gained, and have wasted your gasoline investment.

5. Anticipate. Plan: If you pass lights with timers or are familiar with the traffic lights in your area, anticipate when they'll turn red or green. If you can coast down to a light without using the brakes, getting there just as it turns green, good. If you can avoid a red light by speeding up a bit, do so. Wasting some gas for a little more speed is better than idling at the stoplight for the next two minutes. Also, you know that jeepneys stop. All the time. Don't follow them too closely. Plan your overtakes ahead of time so you'll use as little gas as possible overtaking. Remember, also, that too slow is also a waste of gas. Dawdling along at 20 km/h leads to terrible economy. You should get best economy at around 40 km/h in the city and around 70 km/h on the highway.

Good luck!

-
    Very sensible suggestions sir! I practice 2 and 5, then 3 and 4 to a certain degree. I'm very conscious with my fc and my almost 6 year old d4d innova at around 41K km odo still have the original aspec yokohama tires. Starting at about 35K km, i have noticed a 0.5kpl decrease in my fc. I think it's not due to those d4d issues (i'm hoping) since I haven't experienced any smoking, stalling or power loss. Would the tire issue cause this significant fc change or is there any other item I should look at?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast