New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    [QUOTE]Will try this. Tapos basta downhill pa rolling ko na lang.[QUOTE]

ingat lang sir. dont shift to N when rolling downhill. baka transmission mo naman masira. always sa low gear D2 or D1. alalay lang brakes.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I have a very good tip from one of our members here. it is really good that I had to save his post:

Most M/T drivers think that shifting very quickly is the best way to save fuel. I used to be one of them, wondering why I simply cannot get great fuel numbers. I just realized that as I shift from one gear to another, I tend to step on the pedal deeper. This means that the throttle is opened wider, which means more fuel consumption.

The rule of thumb in driving efficiently is to step on the pedal as if there were bits of broken glass on it such that if you step hard, it will be painful. From my experience, I learned that I should only shift if I can afford to step on the pedal very lightly. In that manner I got better mileage.

As for A/T users, always keep overdrive (OD) ON. Many confuse this thing as a performance booster, which implies more consumption. Actually, it's the other way around. With OD on, the transmission uses all the gears, while if it's off, it will not use the top gear. Switch OD off only when:

- going down a steep road (to provide more engine braking)
    - towing a trailer while driving uphill
    - in the middle of stop-and-go driving
    good tire pressure,clean (new) air filter, default or thinner oil if possible...

shifting to N if going downhill doesn't make significant improvements . it will only make your driving more dangerous.

5Km/L is decent IMO. mahal lang talaga ang gasolina. na minsan di tayo nakaka-adjust sa pagbabago...

imagine 2 years = X2? = wtf?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    As for A/T users, always keep overdrive (OD) ON. Many confuse this thing as a performance booster, which implies more consumption. Actually, it's the other way around. With OD on, the transmission uses all the gears, while if it's off, it will not use the top gear. Switch OD off only when:
    Agreed.

ingat lang sir. dont shift to N when rolling downhill. baka transmission mo naman masira. always sa low gear D2 or D1. alalay lang brakes.
    I mean just let go of gas pedal and ready to apply breaks if needed.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    My a32 does 10km/l city + highway. New fuel, air filter, spark plugs, syn oil. Nka snow mode ung transmission pra mag shift agad to a higher gear at low rpm.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Nka snow mode ung transmission pra mag shift agad to a higher gear at low rpm.
    Masubukan nga ito. Sakin nasa gitna ng snow and sport, di ko lang maalala ano ang tawag doon.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    sa pajero ba yan, yung hold mode??

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Update. After cleaning of the MAF, new spark plugs, transmission set in snow mode and trying to get the AT to shift as early as possible, was able to get 322kms on a tank of gas. Filled tank tonight with 54.523 liters of petron xcs. This is equal to 5.9 kms/liter mixed city and highway. A .9 improvement over my normal 5 km/liter city. I am not convinced that it actually improved my milage bec I drove around 200 kms on the highway. Will update after I use this tank up.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006

- going down a steep road (to provide more engine braking)
    - towing a trailer while driving uphill
    - in the middle of stop-and-go driving
    my car doesn't have an (OD) Overdrive button... mayroon "HOLD" tried pusing on and off and nothing happens except for a illuminated HOLD light in my instrumentation pannel... to be honest don't really know whats that HOLD is for...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I learned from driving a diesel. Here are some that I do.

Momentum is your best friend.

Try not to brake, keep your eyes two or more cars ahead so you know what to do ahead of time.

Keep your tires properly inflated (I'm running 30/34 F/R on my 300D).

Less stuff in the trunk, close your windows above 60kph (40mph).

Lower thermostat like Theveed said.

Use less electronics, kasi this will put a strain on the alternator.

Know your car's torque range (max/peak torque is also useful) and try to stay on the lower side of it (some cars have high revving engines that have torque at 4000-5000rpm, obviously a waste of fuel in this case).

Maximize your trip, know what roads to take, give it a smooth drive if possible. Avoid traffic.

Most important, properly tune your engine. Optimal engine performance is achieved when everything is working correctly.

Avoid potholes too, they will slow the car down so you'll have to accelerate again.

Some say it's hard to clean the MAF.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chuaed View Post
    my car doesn't have an (OD) Overdrive button... mayroon "HOLD" tried pusing on and off and nothing happens except for a illuminated HOLD light in my instrumentation pannel... to be honest don't really know whats that HOLD is for...
    HOLD will hold the engine in a certain gear longer to maximize its power. Parang sport mode. Better to shift to Econo mode if your car has this function too.

Snow mode will start in a higher gear para yung torque isn't too much to spin the tires in snow. This is a good idea, I never knew those cars in Manila had that feature, but then again Pinoys can be creative yes Snow Mode allows you to use less fuel!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
how to improve fuel consumption