New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    My car is an old suzuki fronte the one which looks like a Toyota Starlet...My question is how can I make a 3cylinder Engine faster enough? I dont know if there is other 3cylinder engine the same as mine...
    I already installed a hi-tension wire custom headers and muffler...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sir,

anu ba displacement nyan? Kung mga na 1000 to 1400 cc then the best bet mo ay salpakan mo iyan ng intercooler turbo and a good free-flow air filter and a bit bigger diameter na exhaust pipe. It would probably set you a big gastos though.

Option 2, just add or convert your air filter to free-flow set-up (K&N etc) and have a good tune-up, probable 5HP increase in power. Hi-tension wire won't help kung hindi naka tune up ng ayos ang car mo.

Reducing or lightening the weight of the car would also add a few more HPs.

The smart car na nasa showroom ng BMW/PGA cars at the Fort is a 3 cylinder vech with the above mentioned features.

Lastly, ilang HP increase ba ang gusto mo?

my 2 cents.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    I dont know if its the same engine but you can find some 3 cyl turbo intercooler from suzuki jimny.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    anu ba displacement nyan? Kung mga na 1000 to 1400 cc then the best bet mo ay salpakan mo iyan ng intercooler turbo and a good free-flow air filter and a bit bigger diameter na exhaust pipe. It would probably set you a big gastos though.anu ba displacement nyan?

Option 2, just add or convert your air filter to free-flow set-up (K&N etc) and have a good tune-up, probable 5HP increase in power. Hi-tension wire won't help kung hindi naka tune up ng ayos ang car mo.

The smart car na nasa showroom ng BMW/PGA cars at the Fort is a 3 cylinder vech with the above mentioned features.

Lastly, ilang HP increase ba ang gusto mo?
    Thanks...
    By the way my engine is carburator and it is a 1000cc...Mukhang mahirap lagyan ng intercooler ang suzuki fronte because the grill is already near the radiator...

I will remove my other seats once I body repaired it skip to metal this summer and will have rollcages...

May nagsabi sa akin lagyan ko daw ng solex na carb hindi daw maganda lagyan ng saucer type na filter wala daw increase..

Ano ba magandang ilagay na carb solex or webber 40?
    Anybody knows where I can buy these intercooler and solex carb?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    As with any other engine, you can increase the compression ratio by shaving off some material from the heads. After having installed the head back on the engine, start out with a delayed ignition timing, then slowly bring it to the original advanced setting (using a timing light) until you hear it knock. Take the car for a test drive and find out if the engine knocks excessively under load. A little knocking should be fine, especially if you short shift (shift to high gear to soon). Try downshifting when it knocks and see if it still knocks at higher rpm. If it does, try switching to a higher octane fuel or back down the timing a bit and repeat the test.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Anybody knows what is solex single and what it looks like and where can I buy one?

Which is better solex or the webber 40 for my carburator car?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    all carbs would behave the same....the more fuel it can deliver then the faster it should go (but not necessarily efficient)....however, the catch is....TUNE UP ba? Tama ba ang air/fuel mix.

I would suggest look at both carb brands that you plan to get and see which ones are easier to 'MANIPULATE' for the settings of the carb - to make it lean or rich.....meron iba (like stock carbs) na good enough na but some are so complicated....

the Weber 40 .... isn't that the dual carb (aka twin-side)?...mostly for 4cylinder cars yun kasi dalawang carb ito na kambal ang mechanical movement. It gives more air (and fuel) to the cylinders.

It is like giving each of your cylinder a carb of its own and tuning these different carbs para sabay and equal ang buga ng fuel to each of the cylinders.....

my 2 cents.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Webers are dual barrel compound carbs, meaning the throttle plates open simultaneously. Solex could probably be a single barrel carb. A more efficient alternative to dual compound carbs would be the dual progressive. In this type of carb, the primary side feeds the engine idle to mid-throttle, and the secondary only begins to open up at mid-throttle.

Putting in a large or high flow carb on an unmodified engine is useless. The engine cannot take in additional charge if it is not capable of expelling an equal extra amount of spent exhaust gases. That is why the logical way of modifying an engine is to first improve the exhaust before upgrading the intake. Besides, a carb's "footprint" must match the intake manifold or else there will be a lot of mismatched surfaces which will lead to gas flow turbulence, not to mention, leaks.

Here's what I suggest:
    1. Switch to a freer flowing muffler. Preferrably a nice deep sounding one so that you dont only gain on the reduced backpressure but you also get the additonal attractive exhaust note.
    2. Install headers that *perfectly* fit the exhaust ports of your engine. If the holes do not match, take the cylinder head and the headers to the machine shop and have them matched. You can also ask them to polish the ports.
    3. Install a freer breathing air filter like the cone types that you see showcased among the tuner crowd. The freer breathing filter should help increase airflow into the carb and engine, making good use of the increased exhaust gas flow.
    4. Install a cold air intake. But make sure that the cold air intake will indeed pull in cold air for the carb, otherwise you defeat the purpose. It's best to take the car to the shop for this because you can then ask them to make a airbox that will house the cone type air filter and keep it from inhaling hot air inside the engine. IF your car has 4 headlights, remove one headlight and use the hole to siphon in cold air into the airbox.

OR

4. Have a ram-air intake built on your hood. Make sure it's properly designed so that the scoop feeds the air straight into the air filter. If you can, have the fabricator make a rubber seal around the scoop and the air filter so that all that air gets forced into the air filter and is not wasted into the engine bay.

...that's about it. I wouldnt advice on switching to bigger carbs because I doubt there is an aftermarket performance carb specifically designed for your engine. As I said earlier if the carb is not properly matched for your engine and it's supporting hardware, you just end up wasting money on your investment, plus the engine is now going to be more wasteful, if it's not going to give any performance troubles, such as stumbling from an overrich mixture.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by wildthing
    i didn't know this was possible...

or baka it was meant that "your car can go faster, or add a few more km/h to the odometer" since nabawasan ang weight (drag factor) of the car.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    parang ganito rin pala ang makina ng daihatsu charade, may ganito kasi dati yung kapatid ko .993 cc ang displacement nito at 3 cylinder lang ang makina, lahat na rin ng pwedeng ilagay (maliban sa pag alter sa makina) ay ginawa na ng kuya ko, eventually medyo bumilis din siya pero eventually binenta na lang niya ito. Hindi talaga kasi built for speed yung mga ganitong makina kaya't limited din ang magiging peak performance nito.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How can a 3cylinder Engine be faster?