1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i use the HOLD button..
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by umzzzzz
    may question ako regarding this. yes, the owner's manual of my a/t suggests the same method which is shifting to a lower gear when going downhill to apply engine braking... so yun, ginagawa ko naman yun. ang problema is, parang hindi sya bumabagal. hindi rin tumataas yung rpm ng car after shifting from "D4" to the "2" position. feeling ko nga lalo pang bumibilis. please enlighten me on this. TIA.
    Some matics to protect the transmission will not shift to lower gears even if you shift the transmission to D3/D2/2/L, if the car is already at a high speed/high rpm at the D4 setting. Not so sure lang sa city lxi. Try slowing down first or even stopping then shifting to the low gear. The lower gears should now engage and would keep you at a low speed even without using breaks. If your ride's lowest matic gear is D2/2, it maybe a lil fast pa rin though for some portions of downhill Baguio.
    Last edited by Autobeat; February 20th, 2006 at 02:26 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    problem with a/t is u hv to be on full stop before shifting to lower gear and then hv to stop again if u want to go back to normal DRIVE....

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by gambit5
    problem with a/t is u hv to be on full stop before shifting to lower gear and then hv to stop again if u want to go back to normal DRIVE....

depends. alam ko may max speed e..minsan kasi nashi-shift ko accidentally pababa while moving. wala naman problema
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    gambit: as long as you're within the speed range of the lower gear, there's no need to stop. My AT allows downshifting manually using the lever to "2" as long as you don't exceed 60+ I think... Basta if you're at a speed that the lower gear can't sustain, the shifter will not move.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    on my Mazda 626 AT.

OD on (Hold "off")
    L- 1st- 2nd gear only
    2- 1st-2nd-3rd gear only
    D- 1st-4th gear is permitted

OD off (Hold "on")

L-1st gear only
    2- 1st-2nd gear only
    D- 1st-3rd gear only

driving downhill on kenon, you turn off the OVERDRIVE and can put your lever in "D" thus it is locked at 3rd (max) when negotiating a curve gently tap your brakes and put the lever in "2" or "S"...it will make you engine brake and your rev will noticeably rise.
    dont ever put your lever in "L" anymore even from "2" as it may over rev your engine. i know someone who did this with a Camry GXE and he spent around 250K for repairs of a bogged down engine.

to umzzzzz, i was surprised ganyan pala matic ng City TypeZ

Quote Originally Posted by gambit5
    just like in any manual tranny too..depends if you need to full stop when shifting to 1st gear....parang di namang tama, kahit anung tranny, pag nakarecta na, e kambyo mo sa primera, e di giniba mo tranny and engine mo...

kung shifting to 4L (four-low) talagang kelangan mo full stop yan...mapa m/t or a/t man yan..

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08
    to umzzzzz, i was surprised ganyan pala matic ng City TypeZ
    it is our first a/t. kaya nga nagulat yung mga friends ko na naka a/t na rolla. bakit daw iba ang labels ng lever at walang o/d. any suggestions mga gurus?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How to apply engine brake to an a/t car?