New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Mga Bro,

Just wondering kung pano ko mag engine break sa a/t na car...kasi all the cars that I have tried is manuall tranny....eh im buying an a/t na, natry ko na rin ang matic going up in baguio, climbing up no problem but going down preno ko ng preno ayun nasunog ang lining. Plz help

Sorry kung di para sa thread na ito ang quextion ko!TIA

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    AT cars have D, D2, D1 and some even D3.

Putting it at a lower D mode limits the upshift of the transmission.

D1 will keep you on first gear, D2 on second, D3 on third...so on and so forth.

Tiptronic type AT transmissions with manual overrides likewise allow you to do the same.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    So I have to use the lowest DRIVE pla to feel the engine braking. Any other way?Tnx!

un lang talaga..its just like in your manal tranny...

when you put in L or 1 or D1 or manual mode in 1-->1st gear in your manual
    when you put in 2 or D2 or manual mode in 2-->2nd gear in your manual
    when you put in D, turn off the overdrive or D3 or manual mode in 3-->3rd gear in your manual, etc

un ung common sa lahat ng tranny, ang difference lang is ung iba my D3, and manual mode...pero pag D(with Overdrive on) all gears will go..

pag electronically-controlled a/t, may grade-logic systems, di mo na ganu kailang ishift pa ung lever...ung iba may "hold" button..i-on mo un, they say it hold the gear position where it was pushed (without letting a downshift on the tranny)

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    sa invecs ng mitsu may grade logic if it senses that ur going downhill and your stepping on the brakes often it will downshift to a lower gear... pero kung downhill ka at di ka umaapak sa preno stay sya sa gear na gamit nya or kung ano lang yung tama for your speed... ganun yung lancer pizza ko dati...
    the tranny even learns your driving pattern for optimum shifting...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    may question ako regarding this. yes, the owner's manual of my a/t suggests the same method which is shifting to a lower gear when going downhill to apply engine braking... so yun, ginagawa ko naman yun. ang problema is, parang hindi sya bumabagal. hindi rin tumataas yung rpm ng car after shifting from "D4" to the "2" position. feeling ko nga lalo pang bumibilis. please enlighten me on this. TIA.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    turn the O/D off as well. if you have L gear, use it instead of 2.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    sir nugundam93, sorry i forgot to mention...my ride (actually, my mom's...yaw ko ng matic! nakakabobo...) is a honda city LXi 2000. yung mejo EK pa ang itsura. hindi sya equipped ng O/D or L. 2 ang lowest gear nya...paano kaya yun? ok lang ba na puro brake lang? mukhang magastos nga sa lining kung ganun lang ng ganun. sinubukan kong hindi mag apply ng brakes, muntik na ako bumangga.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    ahhh, wala pala siyang o/d? Hmmmm...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Sa Mazda3, just put it in activematic mode... if you were in 1st gear, when you go down without stepping on the gas and brakes, di ka lalampas sa 20kph, 2nd gear naman 40kph...3rd...60kph and so on....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How to apply engine brake to an a/t car?