New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Hello sirs and mams . . . I need some advice. I have a Toyota Hi-Ace 2.0 gasoline manual transmission and I am wondering if it is possible to convert to a diesel engine.

Meron na po ba nakagawa dito na magconvert ng hiace? If so paano po.
    What diesel engine to put? Where to get? What other changes or parts that na kailangan para magconvert.

Lastly, if posible ang convertion para sa hi-ace, saan pwede magpaconvert? Casa lang ba ang pwede gumawa nito if ever posible? How much would it probably cost?

Please advise. Thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just asking but would you consider converting it to use Auto-LPG instead?

This would use the existing gasoline engine with an auto-lpg conversion kit.

Of course this assumes you have an auto-lpg refueling station conveniently nearby your home or place of work.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear Kid:

I'm inclined to agree with ghosthunter, rather than going through the expense and trouble of an engine conversion, you are probably better off going with and LPG conversion.

LPG is cheaper (per liter and because it contains more energy per liter than gas) to use and burns a lot cleaner than gasoline.

It's not uncommon for LPG-powered taxis to go for 6 months with the engine oil still clear and clean.

It also makes very little deposits on the spark plugs - making for very long plug life.

The downside is that to get good performance you have to spend for an computer and electronically-controlled injected system rather than those cheap systems the taxi's use.

Those can cost up to 50K to 60K!!!

In contrast a cheap taxi system will cost about 20K.

The choice is yours.

Regards,

Dusky Lim

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Do some pencil pushing before considering conversion or modification.

You need these info to calculate your ROI.

1. Ask around for a realistic cost of conversion and/or modification.
    2. Have a realistic figure for your annual mileage.
    3. Decide on how many years you intend to keep this van.
    4. Know your actual cost per km using gasoline vs. diesel or lpg, and come up a figure on your peso saving / kilometer.

Do the necessary math. From experience, you may be on the losing side if your annual mileage is low, and if you don't intend to keep it for more than five years.

A good modification costs a lot but will improve the van's resale value. Bad modification will lower it's resale value, plus the daily hassle of using it.

Good luck.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    why not just sell your current unit and get one with the 1kz 3.0 diesel engine. really, really fast.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for all the advise. I followed DieselDude's advice. I have decided to retain the van as is. Thanks all.