New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ..anybody here has any idea how much a servo kit for a toyota 7AFE engine cost (i guess a kit for the 4AFE would also do)?

...unless there's any other reason why my idle is as high as 2k rpm and would only go down to as much as 1.5k rpm.

...also if it is indeed the servo kit, where can i get one near our area (bandang south). i called several shops that carry toyota parts pero wala daw sila ng ganun.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    I am not familiar with the 7AFE. Is it an inline 6, perhaps a variant of the Supra's 7MGE and 7MGTE?

Anyway, are you sure you cant bring the idle down with the auxilliary air screw close by the throttle plate? I have a 4AFE and one thing I like about that engine is that I can adjust the idle speed as low as I like without interfering with the function of the idle air controller. As a matter of fact, my engine idles so low that when the a/c compressor engages on, you can feel the engine kick when the transmission is in gear.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ....7AFE is exactly like the 4AFE, except that its 1.8L. the guy at the shop told me the servo kits burned out that and he also told me there's no way of adjusting the idle on an EFI engine. is that true?

...i better check out this auxilliary air screw thing.

....need more inputs on this guys. thanx!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Yes, it's true on *some* EFI cars. They're usually the ones equipped with distributorless ignition systems. In these cars, the computer does all the adjusting, and you cant do anything to change idle rpm without using a complex setup of a computer/interface/program. That's why I like the earlier EFI systems better because they are more tuner friendly. You can change the spark timing and idle speed without the need of a computer.

But if you really wanted to play a little bit with your car's performance electronically, you can buy aftermarket controllers that allow you to do this. There are 2 types: piggyback and stand-alone. "Piggybacks" merely ride on top of the car's existing computer. They're designed to manipulate the signals that return to the computer so as to trick the computer to change the engine's operating parameters. "Stand-alones" as their name suggest, are designed to completely replace the car's original ECU.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    By the way, your mechanic is wrong. Since the 7afe is similar to the 4afe then you can indeed adjust the idle speed as I describled earlier. The auxilliary air screw is situated close to the throttle plate. You can easily spot it because its the screw that doesnt seem to adjust anything or hold anything down. All it does is control an air bypass circuit that allows air to bypass the throttle plate at idle position.

help: servo kit and high idle