New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Ang mahal naman ng pa-machine shop na yan. Pwede na change engine sa presyo eh. Salpakan mo na lang kaya ng 4age para hataw. Kelangan diyan mabuksan engine mo para malaman kung ano talaga ang gagastusan. Bring it to a trusted mechanic. May alam din ako if you want a referral, QC area.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    How loud or severe was the engine knock? How long was it operated with the knock? If it was still running without over heating it might just need new bearing inserts. Shops tend to shove machining down your throat without measuring crank journals, engine bore, thrust, etc., etc., etc. why don't they measure first? Perhaps they need more money at your expense? The estimate/quotation is BS wwiithout the NUMERICAL measurements of the supposedly damaged or worn out of specs components

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Mura lng oil change 1200+ every 3 months would've avoided this cost. Training my brother how to drive starts with car maintenance. Im sure he wont have this fate.

Sorry for your loss (engine)

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Preventive maintenance is always cheaper than remedial maintenance

5. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    no use crying over spilled milk. by the way, how was your son when he learned he made a very costly mistake?

sana maayos nyo yung engine.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by funkeemunkee View Post
    Ang mahal naman ng pa-machine shop na yan. Pwede na change engine sa presyo eh. Salpakan mo na lang kaya ng 4age para hataw. Kelangan diyan mabuksan engine mo para malaman kung ano talaga ang gagastusan. Bring it to a trusted mechanic. May alam din ako if you want a referral, QC area.
    Sir funkeemunkee, parang similar po ang name natin... Baka po mag-pinsan tayo???

Dala-dala ko yung binaklas na engine kahapon and pumunta kami ng anak ko sa 2 machine shops. Yung isa eh maganda-ganda (near GMA7) and maganda rin po ang quote nila P30k max. and halos similar din ang gagawin nila like the machine shop na pinagdalhan ko the other day (P46K). Yung isa naman na pinuntahan namin is a smaller machine shop (along Roosevelt Ave.) pero kilala din dito sa amin and slightly different naman ang diskarte niya and much lower ang quotation 15K max. Sabi niya, instead of replacing the piston heads for an oversize one, gamitin pa rin yung dati and bibili na lang kami ng "sleeves" or "liners" and yun ang ilalagay sa loob and babawasan na lang to get the right fit with the pistons.

Hindi na po kami pumunta sa ibang machine shop dahil po sa sobrang traffic kahapon kahit saan ka dumaan.

As for surplus engine, lahat po ng pinagtanungan ko so far ay wala daw makuha na tulad sa model namin kasi medyo bagu-bago pa daw ang Avanza (2007).

May I ask you, sir, kung ano po yung sinasabi mo na "4age"?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    How loud or severe was the engine knock? How long was it operated with the knock? If it was still running without over heating it might just need new bearing inserts. Shops tend to shove machining down your throat without measuring crank journals, engine bore, thrust, etc., etc., etc. why don't they measure first? Perhaps they need more money at your expense? The estimate/quotation is BS wwiithout the NUMERICAL measurements of the supposedly damaged or worn out of specs components
    Sir jick.cejoco, medyo matagal/malayo po na naibiyahe ang sasakyan despite the knocking sound kasi naghanap pa yung anak ko ng gasoline station bago sila huminto. My personal estimate is between 2 to 3+ kms. So medyo malaki na talaga ang naging damage sa engine. Sabi ng 1st machine shop, .5mm ang oversize na kelangan kong bilhin, while the 3rd machine shop told me na less than .25mm lang daw ang difference kaya puede daw maglagay na lang kami ng mga "liner" sa loob and panipisan na lang yun to fit the original pistons na puede pa naman daw gamitin.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    Preventive maintenance is always cheaper than remedial maintenance
    Agree po ako diyan... Kasalanan ko din kasi napabayaan ko yung maintenance ng sasakyan. And hindi ko na-ensure na alam ng anak ko yung gagawin sa mga pagkakataon na ganyan... Charge na naman to Experience!!!

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chronicle View Post
    no use crying over spilled milk. by the way, how was your son when he learned he made a very costly mistake?

sana maayos nyo yung engine.
    Sir chronicle, salamat po for your concern. I just hope that my son has learned his lesson, because I surely have learned mine!!! So I told him that we will not allow him to drive anymore unless he reads the car's user manual from cover-to-cover (beginning to end). And of course I will test him afterwards kasi baka hindi niya naintindihan yung mga important points...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    basta do it right the first time. para walang back job.

the owners manual won't help you much. to a certaine extent oo meron siya basic info.

Pero the proper maintenance and operation of vehicles and engines will really come from experience, wala nang best teacher apart from that.

the best way to learn without costly expenses is to talk to someone who can share experience and knowldge..
    plus a little curiosity through the help of the internet.

ask mo sa machine shop kung gaano kalaki gsto nila tabas sa block mo?
    meh limit yan, after a certain point the integrity of the block and head will be sacrificed, later on it might crack or leak.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Help in Engine Overhaul (2007 Toyota Avanza G 1.5)