New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Mga sir ask ko lng po kung bakit mahirap napo magstart ng engine nung inadjust ng mekaniko ung ignition ko...nagpatune-up po kasi ako and change oil..but since nung nagadjust xa sa ignition hirap na mag start lalo na kapag malamig ung makina...pero ok naman ung takbo nya.info: 4K engine po ang makina ko.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Maybe the timing was advanced too much?

If you're going to speedlab, you can ask them to check your engine as well.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    ok...ill just bring it back sa mekaniko ko ung owner ko...kainis xa ha..pero ano po bang pwede kong sabihin sa mekaniko ko kung anong magandang set for that??

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Hi,

Maaring di tama ung dwell angle ng distributor. For precise timing, hanap ka ng shop na may timing light.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    actually madali lang ma-adjust ang timing kaso dapat may timing light ka and a slight alteration malaki na ang magbabago.

look at your distributor, kung nakita mong mas nakasagad siya pa-counterclockwise, masyadong advanced ang timing mo, else retard timing naman.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear Sirs:

As an enthusiast and tuner myself, this reminds me of the problem of getting a newly-overhauled engine to start up.

Of course, you couldn't use a timing light as the engine wasn't running in the 1st place.

Step 1 - make sure all the timing marks are set right.

a) crankshaft, camshaft and distributor must all be timed correctly.

b) to make sure that the original timing marks were correct, I used a dial indicator to find true top dead center for the crankshaft - sometimes up to 10 degrees off!

cut or file in the correct timing marks - blank off the old (incorrect) ones.

c) use the same method (dial indicator) to check the timing of the camshaft vs crankshaft.

d) make sure the distributor rotor is pointing to No. 1 cylinder.

Step 2 - set the contact point dwell angle using a feeler gauge.

a) install new points and condenser

b) use a feeler gauge to set the correct contact point gap

Step 3 - Statically time the engine

a) install the distributor in the correct position

b) turn the crankshaft to the correct timing (say 5 deg BTDC - Before Top Dead Center)

c) using a correctly gapped spark plug with a grounded body, slowly turn the distributor until a spark jumps the gap.

You have now correctly statically timed your engine.

Hope this helps.

Dusky Lim

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Sir Dusky saan po ba ako makakapagpatiming na katulad ng knowledge nyo regarding with my engine????kasi po mataas naman ngayon ang FC ko eh with a 4K engine which is known to be a less fuel consumption.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Sir:

To be frank, you can only do the re-set of the timing marks using a dial indicator when the engine is mounted on an engine stand.

Sa madaling salita, kailangan ay naka-kalas siya at ino-overhaul mo.

So to do that may involve an overhaul just to get access to the piston crowns.

Now a 4K uses a timing chain to drive the camshaft, so if it was NOT opened or replaced, there is little reason to suspect that the timing may have changed.

Of course, wear and tear will cause things to loosen up a bit, so expect some change in the camshaft-to-crankshaft timing.

That usually causes the timing to be retarded a little bit - which would actually make for better fuel economy.

Ignition timing alone will NOT have that great an effect on your fuel economy, unless it's incredibly off.

You need to make sure your vehicle and engine are in tip-top shape.

Go to a shop that gives comprehensive tune-ups.

Unfortunately, as of the moment, I'm not really familiar with that many shops that do the kind of work I recommend.

The shop's that can do what I want are VERY EXPENSIVE.

Usually the Goodyear Servitek shops in your area do a acceptable job.

Regards,

Dusky Lim

Hard to start the engine..