New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    is the lsa90 compatible with the regular gl5 gear oil? parang alam ko hindi.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    I am not exactly sure about their compatibility. I couldn't find another liter of lsa90 on nearby shops, my extra liter was the excess liter I bought for my terrano that I sold recently.

My assumption is that gl-5 gear oil with lsd additive can be used as substitute, so I just adding .5 liter of gl-5 oil is ok since the diff needed 1.5 liter. The assumption does not have any scientific basis just guess work, since I needed to decide if I use 1 liter oil or 1.5 liter of mixed oil.

I just wish I wasn't too kind to give my extra .5 liter of lsa90 to the new owner of the terrano as his sample.

Thanks speedfix for the advises. I will observe and change the oil when I am able to buy 2 liters of lsa90 again.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    On some vehicles [e.g. early MB100s], the noise is considered normal [although they did make running changes to the transmission to quell it during the later years.

Try mo muna mag-change ng transmission oil.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Thanks OTEP, changed the oil about 2 years ago. I checked it and it was still full. This grinding sound only happened recently in the 14 years we had the car.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    pare, kindly check with your mobil 1 technician or write to mobil to ask if they are compatible. this may cause you more damage and problems in the future if you let it go unchecked.

i don't have any scientific reason to think so, or experience with mixing the 2 on your car so i really can't be sure.

pero normally when you put regular oil on a lsd equipped vehicle you will tend to burn the lsd and it could cause seizure in the future.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You could try adding LSD-additive if bago pa naman and puno pa ng conventional gear oil. Sa mga gas stations and sa mga Ace/True Value meron naman nun.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    The oil on the diff is 1 liter lsa90 - which I believe what is used for lsd. .5 liter is gl-5 oil only. So granted that the mobil and this other oil will mix, I have like .5 liter of oil that does need to be have LSD additive. Its the .5 oil that is not lsd compliant. I will relook at ace when I have time, kasi unfortunately true value did not have it as of this time. Gas stations nearby actually offered much poorer advice, use their gear oil for the diff! (which I believe is gl-4, although they don't know that... they say they use for all kinds of things)

I am still trying to see if the problem is diff based. After a few days when I have time to buy the proper oil, I will likely drain again. The car is used by my wife for about 2km per day, so I guess no major damage will occur until I find 2 liters of lsd oil or lsd additive.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Ok it seems to be a diff oil issue, the cold weather and low usage may have made the oil viscousity too thick. My wife told me today that the sound is gone. I just need to buy 2 liters of lsd oil or add 1/3 additive. Thanks very much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
grinding sound when car is cool and doing engine brake