New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2017
    Hi guys help po. Newbie driver, car owner and tsikoteer here. When I start my car there's this gas smell, rpm spikes at 1500 and then gradually falls down to 800 after 12-15 mins. I only smell the gas when starting the car. Any idea what the problem is? My car is avanza 07 MT 1.5 G.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by CCi View Post
    Hi guys help po. Newbie driver, car owner and tsikoteer here. When I start my car there's this gas smell, rpm spikes at 1500 and then gradually falls down to 800 after 12-15 mins. I only smell the gas when starting the car. Any idea what the problem is? My car is avanza 07 MT 1.5 G.
    have experienced the same cannot believe its hapoening for im using a year old car.it bothers me everytime being a new driver especially that i am taking a long drive almost everyday.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    try shifting to another fuel brand.
    in my old (non-toyota) car, the odor of gasoline was stronger when i used ptt.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    possibly the fuel filter is clogged. or the exhaust manifold has a leak. or a gasket leak.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

5. Join Date
    May 2011

your catalytic converter was still cold and was not scrubbing the exhaust fumes yet.
    it takes around 1200 up to 1600 degrees fahrenheit for it to work. when the engine is first started, it is dead cold and of course, the exhaust smells like that of the cars of the "70"s and earlier.

totally normal

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Nobody seemed to ask the question where the fumes are being detected (ie. outside in the engine bay, exhaust, or near where the gas tank is, or is it coming from inside the passenger cabin?) Also, whether if it's raw, unburned gasoline or if it's exhaust fumes.

Further troubleshooting depends on answers to these questions.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    This is totally normal. The smell comes from the exhaust fumes during cold starts, then disappears or normalizes once the engine meets the optimum temp. Question, do you park your car facing backwards (Your front facing the gate)? If that is the case, try parking facing the front. This will lessen the smell during cold start.

8. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Nobody seemed to ask the question where the fumes are being detected (ie. outside in the engine bay, exhaust, or near where the gas tank is, or is it coming from inside the passenger cabin?) Also, whether if it's raw, unburned gasoline or if it's exhaust fumes.

Further troubleshooting depends on answers to these questions.
    I can smell it from inside and once I'm outside about 1 meter away. It smells like unburned gas and lingers for about 1-2 mins then fades away. I don't see any leak under the car. Gasket cap is clean.

9. Join Date
    May 2011
    I can smell it from inside and once I'm outside about 1 meter away. It smells like unburned gas and lingers for about 1-2 mins then fades away. I don't see any leak under the car. Gasket cap is clean.
    If the raw fuel was coming from somewhere else other than the exhaust, you'd be able to smell it even with the engine off or the engine warm.

Gas smells when starting, high rpm