New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    i would like to know the change oil intervals using a fully-synthetic engine oil, a semi-synthetic engine oil and a mineral based engine oil.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    10000 km, 7500 km and 5000 km respectively...

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    thanks for the info.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It depends on the engine itself. If the engine is not built for a long change interval, using synthetic oils will not allow you to run a 10,000 kilometer interval.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    There is also an issue on driving style. If you drive in the city and do more of the stop and go (like in Metro Manila) driving, then the better practice is to change oil more frequently than the recommended intervals. However if you seldom use the car or do more of highway driving than stop and go, you still have to follow the 10k 7.5K and 5K rule PLUS the 12month 9month and 6month intervals. What this means is even if you only drove 5K in 12 months you still have to do an oil change for synthetic oil.

Overall the more frequent you change, the better. Generally.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    you mean kahit 3k lang natakbo ng oto ko pero 6 months na ang oil kailangan ng palitan? why naman?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It'll depend. You can use oil safely past the change interval, in terms of distance and number of months... but without a way to test the condition of the oil, it's best to err on the side of caution.

The reason to change oil in a certain number of months is that moisture can form inside the oil system, moisture which gets into the oil and dilutes it and lessens its effectiveness. Sludge and varnish can also form over time if the car is parked for long periods of time or spends long periods of time idling in traffic. (at idle, oil only moves slowly through the system).

I've got two cars with a 5k service interval and one with a 10k service interval. The car with the 10k service interval doesn't drink oil or drinks very little of it by 9000-10,000 kilometers.

The cars with the 5k service interval start drinking oil between 4k-6k... whether you use synthetic or not. The tolerances in the engine cause even synthetics to break down long before 10k. Not all 5k interval engines are like this, but you can't just dump expensive oil into the engine and assume you're "safe" because they're synthetics. You still have to check your oil from time to time to be sure you're getting full protection.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Knowing that driving in Metro Manila is considered severe conditions, I follow the 10,000 km or 6 months (whichever comes first) PMS interval. I plan to keep my car for at least 6 years that's why I'd like the engine to last. That and the use of fully-synthetic oil. Nothing but the best for my car.

fully synthetic,semi synthetic and mineral oils