New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Does anyone know how to compute fuel consumption when the engine is on idle given the Engine displacement and RPM.

Tried searching the net and the most i can get is:
    Typical Engine Idle Fuel Consumption:

500-700RPM >>>> Half a Gallon/Hour (1.8918 liters/Hour)
    900-1200RPM >>>> 0.75 GPH (2.8377 LPH)

----------------------------------

FC on a 2-second keystart is about 0.0024/Gallon (0.0091/liter)

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You'll need an O2 sensor to back-calculate... some cars run slightly rich or slightly lean at idle... so you can't always tell from displacement and rpms.

The only really accurate way is to actually test it with a flow-meter attached to your fuel line.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Just want to share this...
    Our Starex idled last night, with aircon for at least 5 hours. The fuel marker before is just slightly lower than the halfway marking, then when I checked after the 5-hour idling, the marker drops to near the baseline. Horrible isn't it? But when I drove it again, the marker rises up again to one- fourth marker and the expected FC for the entire trip was achieved accordingly.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by feeter View Post
    Just want to share this...
    Our Starex idled last night, with aircon for at least 5 hours. The fuel marker before is just slightly lower than the halfway marking, then when I checked after the 5-hour idling, the marker drops to near the baseline. Horrible isn't it? But when I drove it again, the marker rises up again to one- fourth marker and the expected FC for the entire trip was achieved accordingly.
    Why would you do that? 5 hours of idling w/ a/c on! Of course its horrible not to mention how many liter of gas you've burn for nothing, I understand if this is a long driving, but sitting that car idling for so many hours... I dont get it.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    You'll need an O2 sensor to back-calculate... some cars run slightly rich or slightly lean at idle... so you can't always tell from displacement and rpms.

The only really accurate way is to actually test it with a flow-meter attached to your fuel line.
    *niky

Was just thinking (especially if you have a new ride), the car would basically be running on a standard mix on idle. Doesnt have to be exact - an estimate would be fine so that we can have a general idea on FC.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    Why would you do that? 5 hours of idling w/ a/c on! Of course its horrible not to mention how many liter of gas you've burn for nothing, I understand if this is a long driving, but sitting that car idling for so many hours... I dont get it.
    Baka brownout at nanood na lang sila ng DVD sa starex sir v6.

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mazingerZ View Post
    Baka brownout at nanood na lang sila ng DVD sa starex sir v6.
    Oo nga noh! Bakit hindi ko pala naisip yon.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    mga peeps saken mga 2 hours lang naka idle yung mb100 ko bakit kaya bumaba din ang fuel gauge???

pero nung itinakbo ko tumaas naman kahit papaano?

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    actually naiisip ko rin yan (FC on idle) just to guage kung gaano kalaki effect ng pagaantay sa sasakyan or kung trapik.

i guess the only way is the usual way kung saan magpa full tank ka, idle ka for kahit mga 1 hour (para medyo considerable ang bawas), then pa full tank uli. kung ano nadagdag sa 2nd full tank, yun ang liters/hour mo. divide mo by 60 para maging per minute para mas accurate.

pag alam mo na yan, most likely di ka na uli tatambay sa sasakyan mong naka on or lalo kang magngingitngit sa traffic kasi bilang na ang gas mo kada minutong di ka gumagalaw! hehehe

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coiter View Post
    actually naiisip ko rin yan (FC on idle) just to guage kung gaano kalaki effect ng pagaantay sa sasakyan or kung trapik.

i guess the only way is the usual way kung saan magpa full tank ka, idle ka for kahit mga 1 hour (para medyo considerable ang bawas), then pa full tank uli. kung ano nadagdag sa 2nd full tank, yun ang liters/hour mo. divide mo by 60 para maging per minute para mas accurate.

pag alam mo na yan, most likely di ka na uli tatambay sa sasakyan mong naka on or lalo kang magngingitngit sa traffic kasi bilang na ang gas mo kada minutong di ka gumagalaw! hehehe
    kaya lng sayang sa gas - tambay ka pa sa gasolinahan - holdap/carnap naman katapat natin dyan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Fuel Consumption on Idle and on key starts