New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2009
    Hello mga paps!

Front crank oil seal jumps out of its seat (4x in my truck). what causes this?

1. no endplay on the crankshaft
    2. no visible "canal" marks on the crankshaft

this last remedy, i put RTV silicone on the outer lip for additional grip. still under observation.

is overspeeding a big player here? medyo mabigat konti paa ko netong mga 2 beses na natanggal e. sudden WOT kasi. hehe

engine btw is 1986 model 4d56 turbo diesel fitted with a gear type oil pump

2. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    some possible reason on this

1.improperly seated oil seal
    2.wrong oil seal( highly unlikely but still possible)
    3. too high oil pressure(verify with a oil pressure gauge)
    4. worn out oil seal seat

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I normally use a fat bead of Black RTV silicon adhesive not the regular silicon gasket maker stuff, it tends to prevent the front seal from ever leaking.

You normally can't go wrong with this stuff if you have a new seal and a prepared surface.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dvldoc View Post
    I normally use a fat bead of Black RTV silicon adhesive not the regular silicon gasket maker stuff, it tends to prevent the front seal from ever leaking.

You normally can't go wrong with this stuff if you have a new seal and a prepared surface.

not necessarily. if the rtv sealant is not sensor safe, you can go wrong by killing the oxygen sensor. only SENSOR SAFE SILICONE RTV is to be used when the surfaces you are sealing makes contact with engine oil, fuel system and sometimes the air induction system

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    This is on a 4D56 there is no O2 sensor or any other sensors for that matter that this would effect. And it's is sensor safe by the way, but that's a moot point on this vehicle.

Been using it for 20 years for gasket maker on all vehicles.

Front Crank oil seal jumping out