New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi,

can i remove the stock muffler and flush it with water and/or solvent to clean the inside?

when you take a look at it from the outside, its black inside... kinda a build up of 8 years of dirt and everything.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    NO! You dont cleaned the inside of a muffler, its not a serviceable component, except replacement. Muffler are usually packed w/ fiberglass depending of muffler u got, if water would stuck one for sure, mess everything up. Buy a new one, get rid of thet 8 yrs old muffler they are very cheap.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    if that is the case, what about the whole exhaust piping? can it be flushed?

except the cat of course.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post

Hey,- that's what they did to my diesel ride, when it failed the emissions test... Lo and behold, (and with a little cleaning of the air filter),- it passed after that, without any hiccup...

6303:fetch:

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post

The piping yes except your catback. kahit brasen mo sa lood niyan pwede.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    What are the things to consider on Changing an Old dirty muffler?
    Do Shops usually have the Same Model?
    Price Range po?

Thank you!!

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Or you can take it on a sustained high speed run to clean up the carbon deposits in the exhaust. It's also much healthier for the car, because the oil will be hot and circulating, protecting the engine bits, and plus, you're not stressing it on stop-and-go heavy traffic situations.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    nanigas na kasi yung mga itim sa loob ng muff e. i want to restore sana the orig finish so that i can also gauge the deposits that will come off my engine

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    *spyghost: are you referring to your glx lancer? A gas engine fed like yours do not need an exhaust clean up using water and alike. Have you noticed that gas fed exhaust system are more vulnerable to rust? (nadudurog at napuputol) compared to diesel fed na hindi kinakalawang? what more if you use water and solvents alike. ihataw mo lang once in a while a.k.a. italian tune maalis na at makaka hinga na siya ng maluwag. normal lang to have carbon deposits anyway don't worry.

For diesel fed yes you can use water and solvent / detergent but with exceptions too like those who have catalytic converters . mahal yun pag nasira!

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Or you can take it on a sustained high speed run to clean up the carbon deposits in the exhaust. It's also much healthier for the car, because the oil will be hot and circulating, protecting the engine bits, and plus, you're not stressing it on stop-and-go heavy traffic situations.
    When you say sustained high speed, at what RPM should the engine be run at? for how long?

TIA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
flushing the muffler with water/solvent to clean?