New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    i don't know why many car owners want to use fully synthetic oils on their cars. synthetic oils will only benefit engines that are always revved to the redline, not a practical thing to do with the high cost of fuel nowadays.
    Because synthetics are less prone to viscosity breakdown as the engine gets hotter, and with the heat and traffic in the Philippines we all know that an engine runs hotter already. Synthetics also help you get better mileage because of it's better lubricating qualities and means less friction for the moving parts of your engine, which also equates to a longer lasting engine. You don't have to rev your engine to redline to get the benefits from using synthetic motor oil.
    Last edited by redorange; October 30th, 2006 at 12:00 AM.

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Synthetic oils can be applied at any time regardless of the car's age but unfortunately is not regardless of the owner's pocket.

So, I've always stuck to the regular 5,000km on regular oil and oil filter change compared to the special 10,000km. At least this way I have this confident feeling that my oil is always fresh.

Don't worry, your dilemma is very common to new car owners

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i don't know why many car owners want to use fully synthetic oils on their cars. synthetic oils will only benefit engines that are always revved to the redline, not a practical thing to do with the high cost of fuel nowadays.
    Beats me. hehehe. I think it has something to do with the massive media campaign for synths helped by the casas actually pushing them on their clients (bigger profit) even for engines not designed for fully sythetic fluids.

Mineral oil is more than tough enough for almost anything you can throw at it. Unless you are running a full race engine or have plans on joining the Paris-Dakar sometime soon

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Naive.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Because synthetics are less prone to viscosity breakdown as the engine gets hotter, and with the heat and traffic in the Philippines we all know that an engine runs hotter already.
    by how many degrees? 10C? will that actually be significant to an engine running at more than 600C?

Synthetics also help you get better mileage because of it's better lubricating qualities and means less friction for the moving parts of your engine, which also equates to a longer lasting engine. You don't have to rev your engine to reline to get the benefits from using synthetic motor oil.
    i think most mineral based oils now have additives that can match the lubricating properties of synthetics. so the only difference of mineral vs synthetic is the latter's ability to prolong viscosity breakdown, which will only happen on very hot engines, which will only occur when the engine is constantly revved near or at redline. engines won't get very hot when idling during heavy traffic nor will the country's climate. so i still don't see any significant advantage in using synthetic oils on a daily commuter vehicle.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006

i think most mineral based oils now have additives that can match the lubricating properties of synthetics.
    I have to disagree on this one.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Yeah, I don't agree that the climate in the Philippines will make it reasonable to use synth over non-synth, your engine's temperature is regulated by the system, or else every imported car placed in the PI would blow up (an exaggeration of course) because of the heat. I don't think that engines are made up of different metals depending on the goegraphy for which it will be marketed.

My cars' manuals recommend non-synth every 3K miles/5K km, whether I use synth or not, so why waste my money?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    it really depends on the owners' pocket. if he/she got money to burn. but for us, we use synthetic because of its properties- practically it doesn't wash off the metal. i had this little experiment, put on a used synthetic on the gate's pivot point and alas, it does withstand the elements- sun, heat, water. anyways, it also serves as an insurance for those who wanted a prolonged maintenance interval. 10,000 Km will do fine for a synthetic oils.

I even heard from a service advisor that its good for 15T Kms- and at one point, when a VW Polo Classic was introduced, they even marketed the car that has an maintenance interval of 30T Kms before oil change.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    most new cars now come with 3 year warranty, so i suggest you shift to fully synthetic once the warranty lapses so masulit mo yung warranty. me, ive been using mobil 5w50 since 2000 on my 96 pajero. no leaks whatsoever sa seals and gaskets plus the engine runs really smoothly. i just extend my intervals to 6 months or 5000 kms, which ever comes first. habol ko kasi performance.
    Last edited by KCboy; October 30th, 2006 at 08:19 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    i agree with KCBoy. on my both vehicles, i only started using synthetics when the 2-year warranty lapsed. by that time, the internals were now fully broken-in. honestly, mas smooth ang andar pag naka-synthetic. medyo mahal nga lang yung langis.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
First oil change 1000KM, mobil1 synthetic or not?