New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    strada..... there was once a box type strada that entered here in an off-road competion for stock 4wd's, the first obstacle was water fording about half tire deep. when he entered it was ok but after the water obstacle the stradas' exhaust pipe was smoking white smoke and was palyado, after a few meters the engine died. so it was towed in the side while the other stock 4wd's continued the race. since it was my friends car we chck out what happened. when we opened the air filter assembly it was drenched with water there was a hole for drainage but the water was too much for it. so we dried up the filter in the air and tried again to start the engine, good thing that the engine started but was palyado at first then after a while ok na. he sold it btw after a year. the other stock vehicles has no problem with the water obstacle, im not saying that the strada is inferior, and i mentioned stock because all had close air filter boxes no open type. i just want to point it out that even with the stock closed air filter housing there is a danger of water ingestion how much more for open type filters. we were wondering why so much water went in then we saw that the opening or inlet of the air filter housing was facing the radiator fan, i dont know if its the same config with the TDIC. if i were you drop in ka na lang to be safe or snorkel if you want more air.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Why not change to performance drop-in filter then install a snorkel afterwards?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ano pong ibig sabihin ng "drop in" filter? sensya na di ko alam terms, does it mean yung standard type? meaning paper type?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    yes drop-in usually refers filters that replace the OEM but of different brand, like Finer Filter, K&N, and other replacements.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ah ok, thanks.. =)

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    i installed HKS drop in filter in our gen1 n gen2 crv n cefiro, HKS is ok! gen2 crv filter is huge btw!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i read in arb safari website that their snorkels does ot recommend those oiled-foam type of filters.

parang labo nga kasi, parang ala namang point, anu yun baka kasi madaling matuyo kasi open na?? pwede b yun? hehe, pwede din cguro =)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I had Finer Filter installed in my strada before the K&N. The Finer Filter was a stock replacement (still used the air box). The K&N, I chose the open type. It's apples to oranges, but sobrang layo ng difference with the Open Type K&N. I wish I never spent money on the Finer Filter.

I'm not saying the Finer Filter is junk -- it's just that K&N is so much better. imHo.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The stock Mitsubishi 4d56 has built-in safeguards for water and dust ingestion. It sucks air from beside the headlamp (ala cold air intake) but instead of going directly into the air filter, it will first pass through the hollow area of the right fender. This is so that any dust or water will be dumped into the inner fender instead of straight into the air box.

The airbox itself is equipped with a cyclone system (ever wonder bakit parang elesi ang air filter ng 4d56?) which makes dust settle into the built-in dust pan in front of the filter housing. At the bottom of the dust pan is a rubber valve that opens should water get in or should there be too much dust build up (e.g. you don't clean your dust pan regularly).

I'm not really a fan of open type intakes on 4d56 engines.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i agree alfa, im using a finer filter, but i think K&N is better, but more expensive too. What i like bout the finer is they use like a special oil, u know, and maybe this traps in more dirt too.

but, if you make the filter type open, how about it being exposed to the heat of the engine? do you think those covers i see in the magazines help?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Filter: open type or not?