New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Hi Guys. I bought recently a second hand 96 Lancer GLXi A/T. I filled up the tank with 38 liters of gasoline, (full tank) but the low fuel light indicator kept on blinking. The owner told me that it might be adjusting because the tank is not used to being filled to the full. "Baka daw nag-aadjust pa yung floater".

I noticed also that the fuel gauge rapidly dropped to almost empty after travelling 195 kms. That would translate to just 5 kms/liter of fuel consumption. For those who own the same car, is this really the consumption? Or I need to have the fuel gauge checked. If ever, to what car shop should I bring it? Sorry, newbie here.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    I don't know if it's a problem with the fuel gauge or the car is really a gas guzzler. I travel 38 kms everyday from home to the office and back. My trusty 97 Civic AT provides me with 7-9 kms/liter and 1 full tank lasts 6 days. With this 96 Lancer GLXI, I already had 2 full tanks for the week. What seems to be the problem? May problema yung gauge ko kasi ang bilis bumaba ng gas or malakas talaga sagas ang kotse na to. Your opinions please. Thanks.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    there could be a problem with the fuel gauge. but imho, the itlog glxi is really a guzzler. may kaibigan ako, swertehan na daw sa kanya ang 7 kpl. he averages around 5-6 kpl city.

try mo din muna ipa tune-up, baka sakaling mag improve, maski konti.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the lark View Post
    I don't know if it's a problem with the fuel gauge or the car is really a gas guzzler. I travel 38 kms everyday from home to the office and back. My trusty 97 Civic AT provides me with 7-9 kms/liter and 1 full tank lasts 6 days. With this 96 Lancer GLXI, I already had 2 full tanks for the week. What seems to be the problem? May problema yung gauge ko kasi ang bilis bumaba ng gas or malakas talaga sagas ang kotse na to. Your opinions please. Thanks.
    notorious ang Mitsubishi engines sa pagiging gas guzzler bukod pa dun, A/T ang Lancer mo.

Basta kung hindi naman malikot ang Fuel Gauge mo, sa tingin ko ayos pa yan.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Thank you guys for the replies. I will try to have this tuned up and observe if there will be improvements. I hope it's only a problem with the gauge and not really the consumption hehehe (wishful thinking).

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Pa check mo iyong floater may nagaayos naman niyan para maayos iyong fuel gauge reading .

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    i had a 97 pizza a/t i averaged 7 in city driving. hi-ways i get average 11kms/L

think you need to have your engine tuned and your tranny checked.

also when i got my 96 vitara. after having the engine tuned and the fluids changed. i added a grounding kit. gumanda hatak nung makina at pumino ang shifting. nung una 6 kms/L after all the work and the grounding kit naging 7 kms/l. wag lang e10 gasolina mo. less 1 km/l talga tapos sama pa ng hatak ng makina.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    I had my car checked. Sabi ng isang pinuntahan ko, floater daw problem nun, kailangan ibaba yung tangke. Nagconsult ako ng 2nd opinion. Sabi naman ay baka sa electrical ang problema kasi kahit full tank ay nakailaw low fuel indicator. So the next step is to have the electricals checked to eliminate that possibility. Kung hindi sa electrical, mukhang floater nga problem.

Feedback on 96 Lancer GLXi A/T Fuel consumption