New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    peeps.. im a newbie here.. i just bought a used civic ESi and i recently had its timing belt and tensioner changed for PMS. a reputable mechanic ( who btw has been the resident mechanic of my dad since i was 10 years old - im 24 now) worked on installing the new belt. after finishing the job and firing the ignition up, the engine wont start. we've tried charging the battery, thinking that it might have been discharged coz of the worklamp - didn't do crap. so we also used another battery - didnt do crap either. now im stuck with a car in our garage on a rainy season. the mechanic told me that the ignition coil gave up and im forced to buy a new one which would probably cost around 2K. its so frustrating since the car was VERY reliable before i had the belt changed. starts in one click, fuel efficient, and gets me from point A to point B. i guess this is what i get for not letting speedyfix work on it instead..

so my question is, do you guys think the mechanic is right about changing the ignition coil? thanks in advance... more power to tsikot...

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    did the mechanic use a timing light to properly set the timing belt? baka basta nalang pinalitan without properly using a timing light.

although i dont know if that has something to do with the car not starting.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Did the engine at least crank?

If yes, possible nga na ignition coil, replacement should cost less thank 1k

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    i dont think he used a timing light.. he just made sure that the crankshaft had its TDC at the right place. i've read honda's user manual, and that's the same procedure shown. may i ask what a timing light is anyway? thnx...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_d View Post
    Did the engine at least crank?

If yes, possible nga na ignition coil, replacement should cost less thank 1k

yes, the engine cranks when you click the ignition but it wont start.. where's this store that sells less than 1K for that ignition coil? dalawang strores na kse napagtanungan ko.. Alabang auto parts (sells OEM honda parts cheaper than CASA) - P1800, and the other one is that store in EDSA cor rotonda - P1650...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    maaring hindi ng siya nakagamit ng timing light kasi hindi pa ng nag start ang makina, at gagamitin lang ito pag tumatakbo na at iaadjust ang timing,
    saan ka ba nakalocate meron akong trusted mechanic try mo Dick pangalan 09274021675 or 4348474 sa kamias Q,C, likod lang ng fuji parts supply, for parts piyeza 8734084, G&S 9218831, fuji 9215408, pemview 4102873, partstar 5110446, carpower 8318558.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wickednasty View Post
    i dont think he used a timing light.. he just made sure that the crankshaft had its TDC at the right place. i've read honda's user manual, and that's the same procedure shown. may i ask what a timing light is anyway? thnx...
    timing light is used in dynamic igntion timing (i.e. while engine is running at idle). changing the belt won't necessitate this procedure as long as the timing marks are aligned and piston #1 (based on firing order) in TDC.the ignition coil is sensitive and may be damaged easily. have the coil checked for continuity using a VMO.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    get another mechanic

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I think sa carpower pasay ko nabili yung sakin, pero accord yung sakin, nde ko alam kung mas mura yung pang accord, 900 replacement 1.8k oem. try mo hingi ng discount.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    it will take less than a minute to check if there is electricity going to the coil.

if he's a good mechanic he should know how to test the coil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
engine wont start after replacing the timing belt?!