New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    overhaul na lang. specially pag pang daily use mo yung car.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tnx for the inputs peeps!
    overhaul it is!
    man its gonna be awhile since i'll be getting my car... sniff
    daily commute muna... huhuhu

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I have a 3dr Gen1 Pajero with 4G54 engine due for overhaul (oil leaks all over plus a little smoke, cant see what color but the odor is bad).

Tinitignan ko kasi yung service manual nung engine ko and ang daming special tools and standard values na dapat sundin (e.g. valve stem-to-guide clearance: intake=0.03 to 0.06mm)

I was thinking na hindi naman magagawa yan ng friendly neighborhood mechanic, sungkit at pukpok lang lang gagawin in replacement for special tools and silip and tancha lang para sa standard values. Kaya baka hindi rin optimum performance kalabasan after the overhaul...

I was thinking if i will buy a 4D56TDIC to swap... any suggestions?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    overhaul na lang siguro, for me its a lot easier to find new parts for your engine compared to searching for an engine in good condition

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kulugo View Post
    was just informed that my 92 glxi lancer (singkit) needs to be overhauled or replace the engine...
    the "trusty" neighborhood mechanic suggests for an overhaul since u know the history of the engine and since most surplus engines only give 1 month gaurantee...
    i'm on a tight budget ( obviously old school na nga tsikot ko e! ;) ) and would really appreciate inputs on how to go about this...

tnx in advance!
    mas OK overhaul basta magaling mekaniko sir. kung papalit ka makina at surplus naman e luma pa din yan.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nowadays konti lang ang matitipid mo sa engine swap than an overhaul. pero kung magaling ang titirada ng overhaul mo, your engine will last you another 10years.

therefore, it really lies on the mechanic who would do the overhaul.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    i would go with the overhaul... lalo na ganyan alam mo ung history ng engine mo... unlike kung bibili ka ng surplus anytime baka pa overhaul mo rin and bad thing is mahirap makakuha ng engine na matino abala pa sa papers sa lto

8. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    depending on the type of overhaul, minsan the surplus engine is cheaper. pero you don't know the condition it is in pa so hit or miss yan.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    when you do overhaul, you have peace of mind. pag surplus, patsamba tsamba. i mean, you dont have an assurance that the engine is really good.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerboi View Post
    I have a 3dr Gen1 Pajero with 4G54 engine due for overhaul (oil leaks all over plus a little smoke, cant see what color but the odor is bad).

Tinitignan ko kasi yung service manual nung engine ko and ang daming special tools and standard values na dapat sundin (e.g. valve stem-to-guide clearance: intake=0.03 to 0.06mm)

I was thinking na hindi naman magagawa yan ng friendly neighborhood mechanic, sungkit at pukpok lang lang gagawin in replacement for special tools and silip and tancha lang para sa standard values. Kaya baka hindi rin optimum performance kalabasan after the overhaul...

I was thinking if i will buy a 4D56TDIC to swap... any suggestions?
    Gas to diesel tama ba?
    4D56TDIC is a good engine. Sagana sa parts especially the local engines.
    Kung bubuksan mo rin yung engine palitan mo na lahat ng wear and tear parts inside the engine (engine Block). The crucial thing to measure is the oil clearance of the main, journal, thrust bearings with the use of a plastigage, double check oil pump and passages and oil jets.
    Last edited by 4JGtootsie; October 10th, 2007 at 09:41 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Engine Swap vs Overhaul