New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Yip, overhaul din for me...at least you know where the new parts came from.

Overhaul... how much does it cost if let's say you'd replace all including the repair of a cracked cylinder head?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Really depends on the size and location of the crack.
    What i do is devide the overhaul in two. First is Cylinder Head Overhaul or Top Overhaul palit valves, guides and seats. Madalas mauuna mag loss compression dito. Mas maaga bumibigay ang head.

The second (few months or even years later) the block overhaul palit piston rings, all bearings, all bushings, oil seals, gaskets, liners and sometimes piston pin. The reason for the division is the down time and the enormous cost of machine shop, parts and labor. In my opinion by this time the valves have seated and the guides and necks of valves have have settled. Less heat for the engine while breaking in.

I just overhauled and this is how i did it. I just set aside the cylinder head while concentrating on the block. Before assembly just clean all cooked oil on the exhaust and intake passage and the valves itself.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I see... so pwede pala na hatiin sa dalawang job ang overhauling. that will be a great answer sir! Thanks very much for enlightening us.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by umzzzzz View Post
    I see... so pwede pala na hatiin sa dalawang job ang overhauling. that will be a great answer sir! Thanks very much for enlightening us.
    Yup ovehaul, mas okay, make sure lang na sa machine shop dapat yun de kalibre ang gagawa and also yun mekaniko mo dapat sanay talaga.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the replies, and sorry for hijacking the thread.

Sabi ng mechanic, kahit top overhaul lang daw muna para mawala ang smoke.

Iniisip ko lang, alin ba mas maganda unahin, pa clean/overhaul ang carb or pa top overhaul?

Kasi pag carb muna, hindi dun sa neighborhood mechanic ko papagawa, and I do not know how much it will cost. Any inputs mga experts?

6. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    If you want carb overhaul, go to kamuning district in QC, madami duon carb shops, mura lang overhaul (I paid P500 for labor about one and a half years ago). Dali lang iyon, it will only a few hours. Just buy the carb overhaul kit that they tell you. Don't try to overhaul the carb yourself since dami iyon small parts which can get lost. Leave it to the experts.

I suggest you do the carb overhaul and engine overhaul to fix everything. Hirap naman if after overhauling your engine it doesn't run well because of worn or dirty carbs.

And considering the age of your engine, I suggest you do the full engine overhaul - baba ang engine. That way you just spend once on the overhauling gasket set and labor. Mahal din ang gasket set and labor.

If the cylinder clearance is already big, install cylinder liners to put the bores back to standard clearance - you may not have to replace the pistons if they are not worn.

Also replace all the valves, valve guides, valve springs, valve seats, bearings, etc. After that your engine is as good as new. And get a good machine shop to do the machining. Expect to spend P5T+ for the machine shop alone - machine the heads, crankshaft, and the block. You probably wont have to replace the oil pump, it hardly gets worn out.

I've done several overhauls before and the results are always good as long as you don't skimp too much on parts and machining. Remember the motto - do it right the first time and you'll have an engine good for another 100,000km or more.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    wow buhay pa ung thread hehe
    any ideas how much a 4g63 or 4g63t goes nowadays?
    any tips if i go with an engine swap?
    saw the august issue of topgear and they featured the 91 gti lancer and galant... ampogi hehe

want to consider giving a new lease on life for my glxi baby
    new paint
    swap engine
    etc
    kano kaya?

btw: i went for the top overhaul and the car is doing just fine now
    although i had problems w/ the computer box and the timing belts a year after doing the top overhaul. hehe. i'll be bringing it to zee one of these days to have the front end fixed (shocks, busings, cv joint, etc)

8. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    hey we built up that car you saw in the magazine... hehehe!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Engine Swap vs Overhaul