New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Hi guys,

I'm currently driving a Honda Civic 1.8S 2006 model. Lately, I've been noticing this loud, high-pitched vibrating sound coming from the engine area whenever I start the car in the morning and put it on reverse to back-up from the garage. It lessens if I warm-up the car before putting it on reverse. Has anyone experienced this? What could be causing this?

I've been consulting some friends who I know are driving the same model as mine and most of them say that it must be the engine support and/or the tensioner bearing that's causing the sound. They say it's really a common problem with civics of that model.

I tried calling Honda SPA (Mindanao Ave.) and inquired the cost of replacing them. Here are the prices that they told me:

Tensioner - P7,628.00
    Engine Support - P8,500.00

As much as I'd want to continue having my car repair/maintenance at the casa, I wonder if there's a work around for the high prices. Maybe buy the parts cheaper somewhere else then have the casa install the replacements? If so, where can I get a better deal for the parts above?

Thank you very much!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    You can get replacement side-engine mounts if you know where to look. Try going to Northwest Auto Supply (653 Shaw Blvd. Mandaluyong City) to inquire about that. The replacement (Toki brand) costs a measly 1,550. Of course, don't expect it to last as long the OEM equivalent. BUT, at less than 1/5th the cost of the original, you can't lose, even if you have to replace it every 6 months! (Not that you have to... just driving a point through)

As a matter of fact, I just had my engine support replaced yesterday. Paid 300 for the labor (Caltex Pasong Tamo) and no more vibration in the morning.

The side engine mount is very easy to diagnose. The damping material used is made of rubber and hydraulic fluid that is hermetically sealed. In time, the mount will eventually sag and/or leak, or collapse as it becomes worn down. A simple inspection is all that's needed to know if the mount is asking for a replacement.

This is where the side-engine mount is:

And this is what you'll see:

Picture below is a brand new mount. On a good mount, you should see about a centimeter of clearance between the bump stops.

As the mount gets old, the mount sags and the bump stops would sometimes touch each other, transferring engine vibration to the car's body. This can be perceived as rough idling (which it is not). Any cold engine would vibrate more so the vibration is particularly more pronounced in the morning and especially when shifting to reverse. Shifting to reverse torques the engine forward, compressing the mount even further and forcing the bump stops to touch each other.

So for a total cost of 1,800 (including labor) vs 8,500 (excluding labor), it's a no-brainer.

Northwest also sells replacement engine air filter, cabin filter, and a whole slew of suspension parts for the FD.
    Last edited by oj88; July 18th, 2012 at 07:14 PM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Oj, would like to know where is caltex pasong tamo? Is this the one near petron corner buendia?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    Oj, would like to know where is caltex pasong tamo? Is this the one near petron corner buendia?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    This one: Caltex Pasong Tamo Chino Roces Makati City

5. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Hi oj88,

Ask ko lang if you have experienced ung tipong may lumalagutok whenever nagmemenor ka or neutral. Pero if nagapply ka ng gas, ndi naman naririnig ung lagutok.

Eto po ba ung sa auto-tensioner or engine support? Or would it be something else? tiningnan ko naman ung allowance ng engine support ko and may onting space pa before lumapat.

May insight ka/ lau regarding this?

Thanks

Engine support and tensioner for 2006 Honda Civic 1.8S FD