New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Guys, I need your help. I own a 2002, EFI, A/T Lancer. I encounter this problem only in the morning, or when I don't use the car for more than 12 hours. Also, my battery is new (barely 4 months old).

Here's the problem: the car starts with just one click, without a problem. However, after about 5 seconds, idling starts to drop until it dies down. Once I restart, I still need to step on the gas for about 30 to 45 sec for it to sustain proper idling. After that, I'm good to go. This problem does not happen when the engine is hot. This only happens in the morning, or when the car is not used for more than 10-12 hours.

Need your opinion on what I should check for when I bring this to a repair shop. Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Pacheck mo nlng sa casa. Baka mali ang timing tsaka menor.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    looks like a fuel filter problem (or anything related to it).

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    to be sure have it checked... hirap na ma-tirik ka bigla sa daan tapos hindi na siya mag start...

possible problem:
    1. may hangin/tubig sa fuel line
    2. marumi na ang fuel filter

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    EGR valve?

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chuaed View Post
    to be sure have it checked... hirap na ma-tirik ka bigla sa daan tapos hindi na siya mag start...
    right.... A/T pa naman... laki hassle pag tinirik ka!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i also have a lancer, 2001 mx, and had almost the same problem 2 months ago. engine starts one click then dies as i reach the corner (50 meters from the house). i had the fuel filter replaced and the mechanic found water in the filter. i think this was because i had not been filling up the gas tank lately (mahal na gaso kasi!) so water condensed in the tank. after i replaced the filter ok naman na siya. i may have to drain the gas tank later if it happens again.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    ^ sir how much did you spend for the fix?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^sorry i don't remember, kung mahal nagastos ko natandaan ko sana e hindi so mura lang ehehehehe! basta mura lang at fuel filter lang naman saka labor. wala pa 1k.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Maybe the function that increases idle on a cold start is defective. You mention that if it's warm, there's no problem. Definitely electrical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Engine is starting but it dies down after 5 seconds...