New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Fellow forumers please do help

Yesterday my brother after getting some gasoline from Petron and leaving the gasoline station - the car just suddenly stopped. Then one person claiming he is a mechanic from Shell approached my brother. It was late past 12 and with limited choices he asked for help

Things done:
    1. Check battery ok
    2. Spark plug ok
    3. Tried to start ayaw tumuloy parang namamatay.
    4. Flushed the radiator and water outlet with new water
    5. Re wired the the fan at the front that it will start at the same time with the key on (not anymore with the thermostat) - fan is ok
    Thermostat not sure.
    6. Noted some spark in the engine transmission lines (mukhang may galos un wire just tape it for replacement later)
    7. Still cannot completely start (namamatay)
    8. Stop and leave it in the gasoline station

At the morning
    1. Fortunately tumuloy mag start and upon arriving near the house the temperature had gone way up - overheat
    2. He (claimed mechanic) said it was a cylinder gasket and he offered his home service for repair (Php 2500) to change it.

Questions please

1. Best guess, for the problem would be?
    (cylinder gasket?, water pump? others?)

2. Is there any easy way to check it?

3. Other possible options.

I plan to get some advice before going to the mechanic (another one)

Other advice is very well appreciated.

BTW: Ride is 96 Model Lancer (bilog)

Thank you in advance!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I suspect the overheat was caused by the flushing of the radiator, a bubble of air might be trapped in the engine preventing proper flow.

A car engine will still start and run even if there is a problem with the radiator fans and it overheats a bit. Makes me wonder why that part (rewire the fans) was done at all.

Check the basics:
    1. spark - high tension wires ok? distributor working? ignition coil (if you have one) working?
    2. fuel - any problem with the fuel system? clogged filter? fuel pump working? fuel injectors working?
    3. air - air filter clean or clean enough? No leaks in the intake manifold?
    Last edited by ghosthunter; November 24th, 2010 at 11:16 AM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Thank you sir for the quick advice.

I plan to get another mechanic. Hopefully di malaki ang problem and di masyado magastos. My brother is using it at running errands near my place. Di naman bumibyahe ng malayo.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    do head gaskets just blow like that?

madalas, after an overheat (usually very bad) incident, dun nasisira ang head gasket. minsan, but very unlikely, na nachachambahan lang.

eh in your case, the overheating actually happened after your engine bogged down.

... eh nag flush ka ng radiator (bakit kaya nila ginawa to?)... kaya medyo confusing na. ang hirap i-isolate kung yun ba talaga ang cause ng overheating.

ganito na lang muna.

1. bigla bang naging puti ang kulay ng exhaust gasses mo?
    2. may langis ba sa coolant?

kung oo, malamang you just suffered a blown head gasket.

otherwise, like what others have said, you might want to start with the simplest (and usually least expensive) first. elimination process, until you find what's causing the problem.

mahal din at matrabaho magpalit ng head gasket ha...

good luck!

p.s. look for another mechanic please.

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Icis View Post
    Fellow forumers please do help

4. Flushed the radiator and water outlet with new water
    5. Re wired the the fan at the front that it will start at the same time with the key on (not anymore with the thermostat) - fan is ok
    Thermostat not sure.
    Duda ako dito ah. bakit kelangang gawin mga to? mukhang may ibang bright idea ata yung "mechanic"

1. draining the water from an engine while engine is still hot can make the engine overheat (even without the "steaming")

2. Rewiring the fan so it could start at the same time the starter motor operates....the starter is deprived of that precious current needed to operate the starter motor alone.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    If I was in your position and I suspect that the engine overheated I would have the cylinders Leak Down Tested or at the very least Compression Tested to see if there is a head gasket issue before doing anything drastic.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Here's some pics of a compression test for you but a Leak Down Test would be a better option.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Watch this video too.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUzOTnsWImI"]How To Diagnose A Cooling System Overheat[/ame]

Engine Problem? Overheat ba? or others?