New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Sirs, in reading all the most probable issues affecting the engine life. How would i know if i need to overhaul my engine, i really want to take good care of my first car, though its only second hand a 93model lancer, im not feeling anything wrong yet but the oldness of the car makes me think otherwise. Would there be a disadvantage if i overhaul the engine without the need?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by xxgrendel View Post
    Sirs, in reading all the most probable issues affecting the engine life. How would i know if i need to overhaul my engine, i really want to take good care of my first car, though its only second hand a 93model lancer, im not feeling anything wrong yet but the oldness of the car makes me think otherwise. Would there be a disadvantage if i overhaul the engine without the need?
    With that age of your car, IMO an overhaul is ok as long as you use OEM or quality materials and is done by a reputable shop. Meron na rin talaga yang performance difference from original specs eh. Tagal na kasi.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    kung di naman sira why do overhaul? change oil and regular tune up will do. anyway, if you want to test your engine, have it's cylinder compression tested. that way you will know if there is compression leak. if there is, then overhaul is needed.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    san pu ba pede/recommended mg pa cylinder compression test? I'm also a newbie in cars & just got ny 1st car about a month ago a 2nd hand mitsu lancer model 1997 1.3 engine carburetor. Mileage is around 195K

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by neyzon View Post
    san pu ba pede/recommended mg pa cylinder compression test? I'm also a newbie in cars & just got ny 1st car about a month ago a 2nd hand mitsu lancer model 1997 1.3 engine carburetor. Mileage is around 195K
    What area are you located at? I had mine done at Speedyfix in San Juan a couple of months ago; a healthy 175psi across all 4 cylinders.

6. Join Date
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xxgrendel View Post

before you decide in having an engine overhaul, have the following tests done:
    1-dry compression test- first puff then four puffs of the compression
    2-wet compression test- first puff then four puffs of the compression
    3-engine idle vacuum test
    4-cylinder leakage test.
    if the above mentioned tests are satisfactory, you may only need resealing, i.e.; replace all the oil seals on the front of the engine, replace the rear main oil seal, replace the valve cover gasket, and in some cases, depending on the mileage, have the timing chain or belt checked or replaced if the mileage warrants replacements.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    What area are you located at? I had mine done at Speedyfix in San Juan a couple of months ago; a healthy 175psi across all 4 cylinders.
    Located ako sa South Alabang / Las Piñas Area

8. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mina_nuka View Post
    before you decide in having an engine overhaul, have the following tests done:
    1-dry compression test- first puff then four puffs of the compression
    2-wet compression test- first puff then four puffs of the compression
    3-engine idle vacuum test
    4-cylinder leakage test.
    if the above mentioned tests are satisfactory, you may only need resealing, i.e.; replace all the oil seals on the front of the engine, replace the rear main oil seal, replace the valve cover gasket, and in some cases, depending on the mileage, have the timing chain or belt checked or replaced if the mileage warrants replacements.
    San pu ba recommeded mg pa-test of the following as mentioned above? & of often do we need to replace those oil seals those it vary a lot from car to car or is it case to case basis? & magkanun rin un rough estminate ng cost ng mga test above.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    thank you . in which case, you do not need an overhaul, just resealing. i.e.: change the oil seals both from main and rear main, camshaft seal and oil pump seal, if applicable and valve cover gasket/s. sure they leak once the gaskets and the oils seals get brittle. that's just it. just reseal and desludge. no need to take your hypertension pills. hehehehehe
    Got a followup question for that. I'm relatively new on cars just got my 1st car several months ago it's a Mitsubishi Lancer 1997 1.3 carb engine type. My questions are :

1. How would you know if your car needs to have oil seals changed?
    A. Is there any type of test to determine that?
    B. Can it be determined by listening or "feeling" the engine by an expert?
    C. Does the total milleage tells you when to change the seals?
    2. And what's the average cost for that?
    A. Doest it varries a lot ( cost ) depending how big or what type of engine you have?
    B. These oil seals are they generic or each car has it's own specific seals?
    3. Is this something that can be done in a day or do you have to leave your car?

Sorry for a lot of questions I don't have any idea what it is or how it' s done.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Seals were made of rubber. Sa katagalan ng gamit at init ng engine ay tumitigas yun lip nito or lumulutong. Hindi na ma press ng spring ng lip ng seal kaya sumisingaw ang mga oil.

Pwede mo malaman kung sira na iyon valve seals mo. Mausok yun tambutso mo sa umaga at mababawasan usok pag mainit na makina. Then takbo mo kotse ng more than 80 kph. Pag lumakas ang usok sa tmabutso at may lumulusot na oil sa valve seals sa cylinder head. Pwede mo rin silipin yun spark plug mo kung basa ito ng oil. Sign din ito ng sirang valve seal. Mura lang valve seals around P35 per piece.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
engine overhauls