New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    I have a second vehicle sitting in my garage for many months now and its engine oil remains relatively clean and has not been changed for as long as I can remember. Though its being used once in a while, yet I find it a waste to change it dahil malinis at ok pa naman sya. (parang gusto ko na ngang ibenta dahil walang silbi) Madalas itong gamitin ng brother ko noon pero nasa States na sya kasi. Pinapaandar ko lang every two to three weeks para lang to keep it in good running condition. Ok ba yun? Ur opinion is appreciated.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Change your oil at least once a year.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the quick reply. But I am sorry I do not see the logic, because the oil is still thin and unburnt. Do oil simply become stale in a few months that it can ruin your engine, if not, is it just because it is recommended by manufacturers to change oil every three months. And if I don't change (stubborn me!), what will it effects on the engine! I dont know what to believe, can you (or anyone) enlighten us more. Thanks

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    I agree with userfriendly. I'm not an expert on this but from what I've read, cars that have been sitting around unused will be prone to sludge formation. Sludge is formed when water mixes with oil.

You may say that there is no way for water to enter the crankcase. The water in this case comes from the water vapor that is always present in the air. The engine has a breather that will allow air inside. If you've seen a dew covered car in the morning that's basically how water gets in. With the engine not running for long periods there is a greater chance for the water to accumulate.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If you run it for very short trips or just for warm up, you're doing more harm than good.

Oil needs to be warm and circulating to properly do its job of protecting your engine components by lubricating the parts and cooling them. Oil is the lifeblood of your car. If you run it for warm up lang and it reaches operating temp, then you shut it off once it does, it's like teasing the car into saying you'll drive it but you'll spoil the fun by cutting it short.

Cars love to be driven, to drive them on a daily basis will exercise it and remove carbon deposits (assuming you drive a healthy run). The reason that you're doing more harm to warm it up and shutting it down right after is because like I said oil must be warm and circulating for long periods to effectively do its job. If it does not do this, then it cannot protect the engine as best as it was designed to do such as when warming it up for a few minutes and shutting it off even if the engine hasn't reached operating temp. Take it for a spin, give it a good blast down the highway, and it will reward you plentiful.

Give us a good estimate of how long it's been since you've changed its oil, then we can give you a definite answer. What may be a long time for others isn't so with some, so subjectivity comes into the picture. It is also recommended to change the oil at specific mileage intervals or time intervals, whichever comes first. Why don't you use it more often for a change? That way hindi siya nabubulok sa garage niyo.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    at least once a year nag expire din po ang oil hindi lang naman color ang indication ng oil, meron pa pong viscosity, water content, sediments at viscosity index which change overtime

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    You can try bringing the car to a Shell station that offers the free oil check up. Its basically a device that they use to tell the condition of your oil. Not sure how accurate it is and which branches have it.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    remember, in regular PMS, you change oil every 5k km or 3 months whichever comes first. the oil itself has a shelf life or lifespan inside the engine.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Change your oil at least once a year.
    Ito nga po ang recommendation ng mga shops. Whether nagamit o hindi ang sasakyan....

2201:attack:

10. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    hindi yung wear ng oil yung kalaban m,o... it's the moisture buildup in the oil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Engine Oil, needs frequent change?